Chapter 26: Old People Friends...Weird, For Sure

After listening to Mother's disturbing words, we arrived at a place I had never seen before. I hadn't been able to wander around before, so it was wondrous for me to do so.

     We entered a bath. It was a modern structure built inside such an old place, which I found odd. The tall and tan walls led up to a nonexistent ceiling, which let pure sunshine stream inside. The pool itself reached the sides, leaving nowhere dry to walk. There were fountains placed all throughout the space that was about as big as a conference room in a high ranking corporation. The pool was only about three feet deep in the shallowest spot, front and center, six on the other side of the room.

     I was curious as to why I was here, but everything made sense when I smelled myself. Only now did I become aware of the fact that I horribly smelled like vomit and sweat, two things that should not be combined.

     I apologized to Father, who had carried me.

     "If my nose is the only thing that takes the brunt of it, it's worth it. As long as you're okay."

     I was relieved at such an answer, humorously touched.

     Until I was betrayed.

     The maids came streaming out of nowhere, running across the water like nymphs. I guess they knew I didn't like when other people bathed me, because they didn't give me a single chance to run away. Father clamped on tight when I struggled to get down, considering using the little bit of wind magic I knew as the serious maids came closer.

     "Father, et tu?!" I shouted in the tiny bit of Italian I knew.

     "What?" He sounded stupefied.

"Uragirimono...!" (Traitor...!)

     He shrugged.

     "I never said I wanted my nose to suffer again."

     I gawked at him with my little mouth while glaring, promising a punishment for later. April Fool's Day lasts all month for me...!

     I was swept into another room and stripped mercilessly, watching the garments I had worn before be tossed into a fire. It was a cruel sight, seeing no hesitation in their actions. It made me wonder what I had in store for myself.

     I wondered no more as I was taken to a bathtub, not the beautiful looking one from before. It was a lie...

     Hours later, after a battering of a lifetime, I was scrubbed clean and stuffed into my regular clothes of brown linen pants and a white shirt. The lacing was done at the top, and the sleeves were practically chained to my wrists.

     My hair was combed back so tightly that it felt like my scalp was lifting, bringing tears to my eyes. The curls became a little pompom at the back of my head. The maids found it amusing and decided to play with it.

     What did I do to deserve this?

     Nothing, Firea, I assured myself. Nothing.

     I was plopped down at a table after being carried all the way there, surrounded by family members at the final end of my journey. The large table carried food, something I hadn't seen in a long time.

     We were in a medium sized room, nothing too gaudy or boasting. It wasn't tiny either, just the size of a regular dining room. The walls were tan again, accent in the colored lights that shone.

     The people around me were surprised at my prim and proper change, eyes wide. All members that I did know, and a few others were witnessing me sniffling and trying to keep my tears in. I rubbed at my eyes, blinking rapidly while refusing to admit defeat.