two

||CHAPTER 2||《¤》

||CHAPTER 2||
《¤》

My mother was sitting on the window seat when I woke up from a short nap. It was dark, meaning I had overslept. Sensing movement, she turned her attention from the open window to me.

"Perhaps it's a good morning now?" She asked, straightening up. "I will be leaving in an hour. Your Dad is home."

I didn't respond, just checked my phone. It was seven in the evening. Her flight back to Mumbai was scheduled at nine.

"I have arranged your clothes in your wardrobe, just the way you prefer. The empty bags and suitcases are in the store room. If you need them, Ratan Kaka ko bol dena, woh nikaal denge." 

"Why can't you and Dad just stand each other?" I jumped to the point.

She stood in front of the dresser, adding a layer of red to her lips. "We already had our civil conversation. You were asleep. Anyways, wash your face. I will be leaving now."

"I thought you said an hour?"

"I changed my mind," she shrugged. "I have to meet a few of my friends."

Adjusting the pallu of her saree, she slipped out of the door. I followed her instructions and was met by my father in the living room.

"Good evening," he greeted me with a smile. He came towards me, wrapping me in a hug. I noticed he still smelt of Old Spice, something that I could associate only with him. His hair now had sneak peaks of grey in them.

"It wasn't a Good morning," I replied, pulling out of the embrace.

He obviously got the hint, and very adamantly ignored it. No how was the ride back home and definitely no how have you been.

My mother interrupted the awkward silence by making her presence known.

"I'll be leaving now," she informed, her maroon Caprese handbag by her shoulder. She looked tired, but I knew there was no way she would be staying. "Arnav," she called out, and just like the loyal puppy he was, he came out of his room.

"Take care," she informed both of us, and then looked at me pointedly. "Call me whenever you need to."

There was no overly dramatic display of love. We didn't hug. I didn't feel like it either.

Dad rose from his seat to see her off.

"Binoy," Mom smiled. "Take care of your mother. I'll send you an invitation soon. Hope to see your full family there."

"Safe flight, Maanyata." He had his hands inside his pockets.

That was their kind of goodbye. Nothing sensible. Just plain bullshit.

With her eyes sweeping around the room for one last time, she turned around and left. I hadn't expected her to stay for an hour after we arrived in Delhi, but she did prove me wrong by staying until I woke up.