Chapter 26: The Monsters of the Pirate City

Did you know how a heart breaks? It was like having your bones crushed into pieces that you wouldn't be able to stand on your feet. It was like having your blood drained from your veins that you wouldn't know how to live. It was like having the air sucked out from you that you wouldn't be able to breathe. It was like dying but you couldn't just die yet. Not yet. Not an easy death.

"I remember when the dawn woke you up

And the daybreak came,

I sang you a sad song,

And I hoped it broke your heart,

For that was when I let you go,

That was when we said goodbye.

Oh, God, I hate that day."

The mermaid started singing and even though her voice was like magic that pleasured everyone's ears, it was a sharp sound that cut me in every word she sang. I wanted to scream for her to stop but I couldn't do it. I could only sit there and listen to her.

"The waves were calm as the seabirds flew,

I thought the horizon was near,

But suddenly, it was all so far,

Your eyes were sparkling as you step into the sea,

And I wished I could kiss you one more time,

It was so beautiful that day,

Oh, God, I hate that day."

I could feel Owain's eyes trained on me. He was probably waiting for some reaction or emotion that would amuse him. He might be taking it as some kind of a comic play that was fun to watch. And I hated him for feeding on my pain. I could feel hatred towards everyone here in the hall witnessing the love story unfolding before their eyes. I hated that they all love this mermaid. I hated that the Skull was with her. I hated that she was so close to perfection that being a rival would be like a shot to the moon. I hated to feel this hatred.

"You fell in love with the sea,

And the sea took you away,

Our love was deep –

And no waves could crash it,

But the sea took you away."

I was jealous, that I was sure of. And jealousy and hatred are two poisons that could kill anyone's heart. These would weigh you down until you were buried deep in the grave of dark emotion. These were the kind of things that would change you. These were the kind of things that would bring death to the real you. And I refused to be like that. I never wanted to be like that.

"I remember watching you go,

And I waited for a long time,

But you never came back,

I wished you knew that it broke my heart,

I was longing for you,