Chapter 36: Last Names

That night we arrived home, I ended up sitting in my room while reflecting on what had happened. No answers came up, of course. The only thing I could do was sit on my bed and look out the window. Even that frightened me. Either I was awaiting something, or something awaited me.

My cell phone rang, and I almost thought about ignoring it. However, I reached over my pillow to where it had been charging and saw Vlad calling. "Hey!" I quickly answered.

"Hey Liv, you free?" He asked.

"Free as ever," I said, sliding underneath the sheets to get comfortable. "What's up?"

"So, I was doing some research with Carlos again," he said. "We realized we never told you this, but we found some fucking mindblowing news. I don't think you're ready."

I let out a fake laugh. "Oh, I'm ready."

"Your mother takes your father's last name, right?" He asked.

"Yes," I said.

"You too?"

"Yes."

"Get this," he then let out a breath of air. "This is going to sound crazy! But, your mom's last name is Averisky."

I had never told Vlad that, so it sparked my attention that he knew. "How do you know?"

"I read something, don't know if it's true," he went on. "but, the girl who died there has the same last name as your mother. Remember when I said two sisters died?"

"Yes..."

"I was wrong because she was never found and the other sister's death was ruled as a suicide! Your grandmother's last name was Averisky and so was your mother's before she had gotten married. It's sort of ironic that you're in that house with the same last name as those sisters," his voice trailed off for a second as he himself thought about what he was saying. 

It took me a minute to realize how tight I was clutching my phone and how hard my heart was beating inside of my chest. My eyes slid over to the door because I thought someone would walk inside. I couldn't process it all, but one thing was true. Sunny's last name was Averisky, and so was my grandmothers' and mothers'. I knew Sunny's last name, but I never thought of her to be related to me!

"Also," he went on. "I remembered that you told me that you never met your mother's mom. You've met only your dad's mom."

I was silent.

"Hello?" Vlad said.

"Sorry," I replied. "I'm just trying to process all of this. My grandma, it's true, I've never met her. She was dead to us."

"My question," Vlad's tone got lower. "Is how did your father get that house but not your mother?"

That was an interesting question and one that was starting up a panic attack. Of course, the first thing that popped into my mind was that my father knew her, killed her, and got all of her money but it didn't make sense. I was tired of not knowing, but tomorrow, I would be determined to get the answers from Robert.

"Vlad," I said. "Can you get on Skype?"

Before I asked, I saw that he had been calling already from my laptop. I hung up the phone, got my headset, placed the laptop on my bed, and opened the video for Vlad. His face always brought joy to mine, and at this moment it was more of comfort. 

"How's Carlos?" I quickly changed the subject, just wanting to be okay for a few minutes.

Vlad blushed. "He's amazing! It's hard because we're both not out of the closet, but when I'm with him, I'm the happiest person alive."

"Hey," I sat up for a second. "remember who was there first."

"I love you!" He laughed out the words. "You're always my number one. So, have you found anyone?"

I knew he'd asked, but I didn't mind telling him about my little incident with Rose. He'd enjoy that story. "No, but I was kissed," I told him.

"Oh, was he hot?"

"Well," I hesitated. "he was actually a she. A girl kissed me."

"Holy gay!" He sounded excited. "Since when did you swing both ways? Or any ways!"

We both laughed. "It wasn't like that. She kissed me. I don't even swing that way. I never thought about being with a girl before and, I don't think about it now. Like I said, it just happened."

"Hm," he groaned. "It's the feeling that counted. How did you feel?"

"I felt-" I stopped, having to think about it. It didn't feel bad, just confusing. I couldn't admit to myself that I enjoyed it, but at the same time I had the chance to stop her, but I didn't. I obviously wanted some of it to happen, and it did. "I don't know, Vlad. It's a confusing feeling."

"I claim you as bi-curious," he said.

"Vlad!"

"Kidding," he said. "I don't do labels for other people. Sometimes you know, and sometimes you don't. It's nothing you have to dive into right away."

"Thanks for understanding," I smiled. "You are the best."

"Heck yes, I am. Now, let's get some sleep, Liv. Night! Love you!"

"Love you too," I replied.

...

At school during our break, I looked for Rose. While I was sitting at one of the tables, I got a fascinating surprise. Megan and her old crew sat across from me at the table. In the cold, Megan was wearing sunglasses, but from the bottom of her eyes, I could catch a glimpse of the lack of sleep she was getting. Even though I couldn't see Megan's facial expression, from her friends, I could tell they meant no good. After everything that had happened, I couldn't believe those two idiots stuck with Megan.

"Olivia," Megan mumbled so low I could barely hear her. "I've been expelled, but as you can see I'm here anyway. I want you to know that this isn't the last time you see me. You've ruined my life, and I will get my revenge."

With that said, all three of them left the table. However, Megan's boyfriend used a rubber band to flick the back of my neck. It was one of those thick colored bands too. I rubbed the spot he hit which hurt more than it probably should have. I gave him a mean look, but he showed a meaner one.

"I'll kill you," he said then went over to Megan and wrapped his arm around her waist. 

I sat that thinking if that was a serious threat or not. I was about to tell a teacher what he had said, but Rose ran up to me. 

"Olivia!" She smiled at me. "Thank God you're here!"

"I'm here," I said. "So what now? We need to talk to Robert."

"Do you see him?" Rose asked. As soon as she asked, Robert appeared behind Rose.

"I see him," I said.

He didn't look so good.