The Girl Who Doesn't Speak

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are both somewhere 16-20

************

You were silent as you were walking through the village. You had a basket of supplies for your parents and were heading back home.

"Hello, (Y/ N)," your crush, Hiccup, greeted. You smiled and waved your hello. He was use to this. You haven't spoken to anyone since... well... you were little. Even as a small child, you were quiet. You talked for a year when you turned five, but found it pointless and haven't spoken very much since. "Do you want me to carry that for you?" You shook your head no and grabbed his hand instead.

This was normal for you. You two usually held hands or kissed each other on the cheek or hugged or even stared into each other's eyes for a while. At first, it was a bit odd, but you both had feelings for each other. Even though it was obvious to both of you, neither of you ever said anything about it.

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the third was the only person who ever made you want to talk. It was weird. You had said a few words very softly to him, but only when you were at the cove and it was just the two of you and your dragons.

When you reached your doorstep you turned to give him a hug. Like always, you hugged longer than necessary and turned to kiss him on the cheek. Almost immediately after, he kissed your cheek. You hugged a few more seconds before pulling away.

You opened your door and took a step in when something tugged your sleeve. You faced Hiccup. "Um, (Y/ N)?" You nodded once. "Would you like to, um, go on a date with me?" He asked, nervously, playing with his prosthetic foot while waiting for your response. He would have been staring at the ground if he hadn't had to watch for your answer.

You wanted to answer him with your voice though. You cleared your throat and whispered, "I would love to," as loud as you could, which was pretty soft, but loud enough for him to hear.

His face instantly brightened up, and he picked you up and spun you around. "Yippy! Ya hoo!" he cheered while you giggled.

He set you down but kept you in his arms. "I-" he froze. He placed his hand gently on your cheek and started to lean in slowly, to see how okay you were with it. You closed your eyes and leaned in a bit. He took this as a yes and pressed his lips to yours.

Or, at least, he was about to.

Until . . .

"HEY, HICCUP!" Snot face Snotlout called. "Hey, pretty," he said to you as he walked up. It was one of Snotlout's nicknames for you. Pretty and various other terms containing the word 'Mute'. Hiccup groaned but pulled back, turning to face his irritable cousin while keeping an arm around your waist. He also glared at him but Snotlout didn't dare call you anything other than pretty, so Hiccup managed. And besides, you are very beautiful.

"What, Snotlout?" asked Hiccup, annoyed.

Snotlout, of course, didn't notice what he had disturbed. "Your dad wants you. He's at the great hall. He said it shouldn't take long, though."

"Okay, thanks." But Snotlout was already off.

Hiccup turned towards you. "I should be going. But, hey," he said, gently, using his index finger to push your chin up. "You still owe me that kiss," he said meaningfully but also playfully. "Dad is usually right when he says something shouldn't take long. Are you busy tonight?" You shook your head no. "Wanna have the date tonight?" You smiled and nodded quickly. "Great," he kissed your forehead. "I'll pick you up at seven?" You nodded. "Great. For now, farewell, and I shall see you tonight, mi'lady."