47. BUCKY: Silence

Words: 2.1K

A/N: if you haven't heard this song, you should really check it out. It's the basis for this imagine but you don't have to know it to understand (although I'd recommend giving it a listen-- it's really good).

ALSO I SAW RAGNAROK!!! It was soooo good you guys!! Hilarious and perfect every single second. Even my angsty sister who doesn't like anything (especially my favorite movies) liked it. 10/10 would recommend.

-SL2627

Yeah, I'd rather be a lover than a fighter

'Cause all my life, I've been fighting

Bucky Barnes' hands, the calloused and metal one both stiff and unforgiving, grip onto the steering wheel harder. The radio plays the chart toppers into the car where mostly everyone is silent. The melody as it starts up is the loudest thing: beckoning for Bucky's attention with its eerily symbolic words.

Never felt a feeling of comfort

All this time, I've been hiding

His sapphire blue eyes are locked ahead of the moving vehicle to the dreary road. Rain splatters on the windshield and runs out of the path of the slow moving wipers. Bucky takes a deep breath as he listens to the song: wondering if he's the only one in the car that's paying attention to it so carefully.

And I never had someone to call my own, oh nah

I'm so used to sharing

Bucky risks a glance at you. You're sitting next to him in the passenger seat—tongue sticking slightly out of your mouth as you finish a round of some word game on your phone that Wanda challenged you to from the back seat. Bucky watches you there until you catch his stare. You blink a few times before grinning—cheeks revealing lines that travel up to your eyes and make his heart skip a beat. Bucky clears his throat, pretending not to care, and quickly looks back to the road. His pulse is rapid as he realizes how badly he wants to look back at you.

Love only left me alone

But I'm at one with the silence

He doesn't say anything—afraid to. He stays silent, unable to start the converstation with you that he longs for, and pretends to not care when you start humming along.

I found peace in your violence

Can't tell me there's no point in trying

I'm at one, and I've been quiet for too long

You know this song: it's rather good. Sort of eerie and pretty at once. Quietly you breathe the melody to yourself between quick peeks up at Bucky as he drives. His stoic, straight lipped expression somehow soothes you into forgetting about the rainstorm or the botched publicity meeting you're driving away from. You can't help but think of Bucky as the chorus repeats.

I found peace in your violence

Can't tell me there's no point in trying

I'm at one, and I've been quiet for too long

Bucky puts a little bit of pressure on the brake as the rain comes down harder. It blurs everything in sight: leaving only red and white lights illuminating the dark highway. He takes a hard swallow.

"Everything okay, Buck?" you dotingly ask of the soldier.

In the background, the music still plays:

I'm in need of a savior, but I'm not asking for favors

"Yeah. Yeah, Y/N. I'm okay."

My whole life, I've felt like a burden