Chapter 16

Hand in hand, the two of us walk through the gardens. The autumn air is just beginning to be chilly, a sign of the coming winter.

I look to Grayson. "This is nice." I say. "Even with what's going on."

"Maybe that's the best reason to do it." Grayson says, giving me a look.

My cheeks flame a little as I smile. We walk on through the woods for a while in silence. I wonder what Grayson is thinking right now. This is one of those times I envy Isa. Grayson's face doesn't give any clue to what he is thinking, except for when smiles when he looks at me. I feel very awkward in this relationship. Grayson does not seem to have that problem.

I shiver as a cold breeze blows. Grayson notices and starts to take off his jacket. I know this has happened in basically every romance movie. Grayson comes and puts the jacket around my shoulders. The jacket is way too big for me, but I still feel warmer. I look at Grayson and smile again (cue blushing).

"Come see this." He says, taking my hand and leading me off. He takes me down a separate path. After a while we end up in a small clearing surrounded by multicolored trees. A blanket is layed out on the soft grass. There is a large basket sitting next to it.

"A picnic?" I say,smiling.

"Yeah." He says,pulling my hand. "I had the kitchens put together a basket for us."

We sit down next to each other on the blanket. Grayson opens the basket and starts pulling out the food. The main course is turkey sandwiches followed by watermelon and potato chips. Two cans of lemonade come out of the basket next. I'm suprised to see that there are two heart-shaped sugar cookies in as well.

I sit next to Grayson as we eat our picnic. While turkey sandwiches my not be the most romantic meal, it's good enough for me. We sit eating and chatting. I'm suprised to find that the conversation comes easy and ,for once, I don't feel awkward. We talk about everything,our families,our hobbies and Grayson asks me what I think of Electracademy. My only response to that is, "Unexpected and extraordinary."

For a while when we sit I forget about everything else that is happening.

_______________________________________________________________________

  Vandailia got up from the small bed and went over to the window. Her footsteps made no sound as she crossed the room. She went to the window, which had been covered so no one could see inside this room. Her head was pounding and she felt awful. She groaned a little and put her hand on her aching head.
  Just then, she heard the sound of the lock on the door opening. It was the side door that only the teachers were able to enter in. They were the only ones that knew about her "condition". There was another door leading into the main corridor, but no one used it. Vandailia was well aware that Owen constantly sat outside that door. She wanted to see him badly, but she knew that would not happen.
  Professor McKinley walked into the room. Vandailia thought it might have been the nurse to interrogate her again. She guessed its good it not her, because Vandailia didn't feel like talking. But she knew what the headmistress was here for.
  "What did he say?" Vandailia asked. Her voice didn't sound like hers when it came out of her mouth.
  "Just so you know, he is outraged and wants to come here immediately, but we won't let him." Professor McKinley said.
  She was silent for a while and the only thing Vandailia heard was the pounding in her head.
  "That's it for now." Professor McKinley said. "And you need to rest." She said gently pushing Vandailia on the bed.
  Vandailia groaned. She was naturally an insomniac, but lately was another matter altogether. She sighed and layed down on the pillows.