Chapter 4

"You say you married one of your ex boyfriends- scratch that- your only ex-boyfriend, against your wish?" Jessica exclaimed, her blue eyes narrowing at me.

I left out an irritated sigh. "Yes, Jess. I know your auditory system is just fine."

"What is the century that we're living in? Please don't tell me it's the twenty first. Because this kind of stuff doesn't happen anymore!" Jess's expression turned incredulous.

"Well, it happened with me." I said, shrugging. "I was defenseless against him."

"Oh, don't say stuff like that. You're never defenceless. You always have your way through the things." Jess said.

"He forced me!"

"You could've resisted and.. yelled on top of your lungs."

"He told me he'd ruin my career."

"How would he ever do that?"

"He would. He is Ethan Parker, he can do anything." I said, the energy of fighting anymore draining away from my body like a deflated balloon.

Jessica, my manager, sat across from me with her legs folded under her thighs, holding numerous news articles and magazines that posted about my wedding. Apparently, the news broke out in the morning, and Ethan had given his statements already.

"Skylar, you do realise that public think it's just a contract you guys are having, right?" Jess stated.

"Of course I do." I groaned into the pillow that sat on my lap. I looked at her with a worried face. "My career is ruined, isn't it?"

"It's not. Yet." She sighed, "But if that's how people are going to see you both, then it will eventually be going to ruin the mark you made in your career."

"This can't get any worse." I groaned again and let my head fall back in frustration. I was really at the verge of snapping someone's neck.

"Not if you can use this chance." Jss said, hinting something with my eyes.

"Jess, I'm too messed up to understand your twisted words."

"I mean, look on the brighter side. You did marry your ex boyfriend, which is pretty awful, I agree, but he is also a super successful, young billionaire. He is a major public figure. And imagine what being his wife could do to you."

"It can do a lot of things. One, it may project me as someone who had to marry someone rich because I wasn't rich enough. Two, it can make my slowly accelerating career have flat tyres and come to an abrupt end. Three, it can make me obliged to sleep on a couch that would eventually dislocate my back bone."

"Wait, what?" Jess frowned at me.

"Yes. I sleep on the couch." I said, with a blank face. "I can't sleep with him."

"He's your husband!"

"No he's not, he's just someone that forced his surname on me!"

Jess stared at me. "Skylar. Deep breath. Slowly-"

"Don't do it now. Tell me how I can get out of this mess!"

"Well." Jess ran her hands through the free hair. "I'd like to meet your husband."

"Please don't use that word." I cringed at that. I really wonder how a wonder like that turned out to bring the worst of me.

"What, husband?" She said, a smirk slowly gracing her lips. She knew how to push my buttons.