36 | Connor

Sydney and Jacob had been on campus for three days at this point, and New Year's Eve was today

Sydney and Jacob had been on campus for three days at this point, and New Year's Eve was today. And with each passing second, my mindset was leaning more and more in a direction it hadn't been in for the first three days of my breakup with Sydney.

I had to get her back.

I had been the one to break up with her, and thus I had felt justified in my actions: she had allegedly cheated on me with someone who I had been worried about her cheating with already, and it was simply easy to believe that about her. It was a terrible thing to do: trust a woman who clearly hated her over the woman I had been prepared to spend the rest of my life with. And yet I had done it, and for the first three days of our breakup I had felt as if it were the right decision.

And then I saw her.

It's a completely different story when you see the girl.

I hadn't seen Sydney in four months. I had video chatted with her and texted her and done everything possible where social media was concerned, but I hadn't seen her--not in person--for four months. I had all but forgotten the exact effect she had on me: the sweaty palms, the racing heart, the eyes that were glued on her and only her. None of that had changed. None of my true feelings had changed. The anger and jealousy had clouded my judgement, and it was something I couldn't take back. But it was something I had to try and rectify.

I loved Sydney. There was no doubt about that in my mind.

And thus, I had a perfectly concocted plan laid out, one that I had worked on for the past three days since she had arrived at JMU.

I would win her back at the New Year's Eve party tonight. I assumed she was attending; Katie, Mel and Britt were going and would undoubtedly drag Sydney along. A grand gesture, declaring my love and trying to amend my mistakes in front of everyone at Shelby's New Year's Eve party, was my master plan. I would do it in front of Shelby herself, showing Sydney once and for all that Shelby was out of my life.

I still hadn't un-invited her to the wedding, but that was all dependent on Sydney's answer at the party.

She had every right to deny me, to turn me away and refuse to take me back. I half expected her to.

I was wholeheartedly praying that she wouldn't.

***