Chapter 18: Casey

Casey watched as Carli closed up the large gash on Sydney's leg.

Man, she's tough.

He noticed that, even though she was clearly in pain, Sydney's face barely flinched, and she wasn't crying or yelling. Either she's been through much worse, or she's not as helpless as I thought.

"Thank you," Sydney said to Carli, who just finished the last closure on her leg. "I'm sorry about earlier."

A lot of things were going through Casey's mind when it came to Sydney. Part of him was wary that she may be dangerous, but the other part remembered the few times she showed a kind and softer side to her. If he could convince her to stay in LeHorn, he hoped to find out more about her.

Lost in thought, he didn't notice that Sydney was looking up at him until Carli started packing away her tools. He knew he was caught staring, but Sydney just gave him a small smile, which made him less embarrassed.

"She's all good. I won't ask how she got such a nasty wound, but I will say that she needs to stay off of it as much as possible. I don't want her to bust any stitches," Carli said to Casey as she walked to his front door.

"I'll make sure she takes it easy. Thanks for your help," he said with gratitude.

He noticed the blush that flooded Carli's cheeks as she smiled and said goodbye. Casey knew she had feelings for him, but he always tried his best not to lead her on. She was simply too young for him, and he only saw her as a sister. It didn't help that her mother was always filling her head with the idea that he might like her, too.

"She's nice. How does she know all of this doctorly stuff? She looks so young," Sydney said, her voice closer than he expected.

When he turned around, she was only a foot away from him, her eyes focused on the world outside his front door. Her hair was still damp from her shower, and she was wearing some old clothes his sister, Hanna, left behind. She wore them well, drawing his attention to her fit shape. She looked much prettier now that she was fresh and clean.

"She just turned sixteen a few months ago, but she's been learning under Annie, our village doctor, since she was thirteen," he told her, focusing back on her question instead of her body.

The only response he got was a nod of her head, showing she heard him.

"Aaaaaaaaahhhhahaha!"

The pleasant sound of Casey's baby brother, Noah, filled the house. He watched as the little boy came running out his mother's room, his strides clumsy and off balance.

Casey noticed Sydney's eyes brighten at the sight of Noah, her mouth showing a brilliant white smile. So that's what she looks like when she genuinely smiles.

He knew that the few smiles she had shown beforehand were simply for show; they never reached her eyes. At the sight of Noah, her big blue eyes squinted, crinkling at the corners. It made her look younger, and carefree. She should smile like that more often.

Looking back to his brother, Casey saw Noah staring up at Sydney, his mouth open. No doubt, he was trying to figure out who she was.

"Hi," Sydney spoke softly to Noah.

All his brother did was wave, nervously.

"Come on, champ. Let's eat," Casey said, scooping the toddler into his arms and carrying him over to the kitchen.

Sydney joined them a few minutes later, right as his mother was placing the bowls of soup onto the table. She didn't speak much, unless he or his mother spoke to her. But, Casey counted that as progress, hoping that she would one day feel more comfortable around them.