Chapter 19: Sydney

Sydney sat at the edge of Casey's bed, examing her now patched up leg.

That's definitely going to leave a scar.

It still hurt a little when she walked, and she knew Carli had said for her to stay off of it as much as possible, but that meant she would have to stay here a lot.

Elena was great, but she wasn't exactly the type of company Sydney was used to. She was also wary of spending too much time with people, in fear that they might figure her out.

Knock knock!

Without hesitating, Sydney walked over and opened Casey's bedroom door. On the other side of it stood Elena, with a pile of clothes in her hands.

"Sorry to disturb you, dear. But I gathered some more clothes that should fit you nicely. Thought it best you get them now," she said with a warm smile.

"Thank you," Sydney said, accepting the clothes.

She was still uncomfortable being in need of so much help from strangers, but she wasn't going to decline it now.

After saying goodnight, Elena left, and Sydney could see Casey setting up his spot on the couch. She still felt bad that he had to give up his room, especially after the way he helped her get here. But he wasn't going to go against his mother's wishes, so she wouldn't fight it.

Closing the door without Casey noticing, Sydney laid down on his bed. It wasn't as good as the mattress in her dorm room, but it was better than the floor. And the sheets smelt of pine and cinnamon.

The scent calmed her, and she found herself dreaming of better days.

"I can't believe you're back," Jasper said, smiling down at me. "You have no idea how much I missed you."

"It sucked not having you out there with me, Jasp. It's good to be home," I shared, hugging him. I didn't want to ever let go.

I was back home, back with my family; Back with the only person left that would always have my back.

"Come on. I want to take you somewhere," Jasper said, grabbing my hand.

"Okay, but it better be worth it. I didn't come all this way back from the Western Region for you to take me somewhere lame," I teased, glad to be back.

Jasper turned his car down a familiar dirt road, and the trees started to get denser the further he drove. My heart swelled as I realized where we were.

He took me back to the lake we spent the day with Liz at. The last place the three of us came to together, alive, and happy.

"Why are we here?" I asked, feeling overwhelmed.

"We're here because, if you wish hard enough, you'll see her," he said, looking out at the lake.

"Stop lying, Jasper. That's not funny."

"I'm not lying. She's still here, with us. All we have to do is wish, and she'll show up."

I wanted to believe him with everything in me. I wanted to believe that Liz would come back if I wished hard enough. So I tried.

I closed my eyes and focused all my thoughts on her. On her smile, her heart, her friendship. She was my family, and she couldn't be gone.