16 - One of a Kind

I slammed the car door, knowing it would just ruffle his feathers even more. Flora was fast asleep. It amazed me that she could have gone through that tonight yet still sleep like the dead. I knew that everything was slowly scarring her. It killed me to know that I couldn't stop it. Going inside, I placed Flora on the bed for the second time that night. Vaughn appeared in the doorway.

"Miss Checke, I shall look after your sister personally for the night. Mr. Nayati has asked me to stay by her side, as well as placing two bodyguards next to the doorway. I assure you, this time I will make sure Flora Checke's safety is not compromised." Vaughn announced.

I shook my head. "Thank you Vaughn, but I would much rather do it myself. I'm her sister and I was supposed to look after her. Look where that got me. I think I can handle this for tonight. Thanks again for the offer. Tell Mr. Nayati to go chase his tail."

Vaughn looked uncomfortable. "Ahh...my apologies, Miss Checke." he murmured. "But Mr. Nayati is requesting your company in the ballroom. He....says it is very urgent. I hope you do not mind my advice, Miss Checke, but I do think it is best if you do as he says. Just for tonight."

I sighed and stood up. "Ugh. What does that mutt want now?"

The look on Vaughn's face made me stop from insulting Lucian any further. "Sorry." I quickly added. "I know he's your leader and everything and I shouldn't talk against him like that, but damn he's infuriating." I sighed.

Vaughn nodded and walked over to the bed, changing into his wolf form. I watched in pure curiosity as he wandered around in circles for a bit before settling down next to the tiger carpet. His eyes glowed in the bright moonlight, coming to focus on me. It comforted me to know that Flora was in safe hands. Taking a deep breath, I stopped before walking out the door.

"I trust you, Vaughn." I whispered. He seemed to almost smile at my words. I grinned back and closed the door, almost stepping on something warm and furry. It was another wolf sleeping next to the door. On the other side was another one, with white fur that almost shone as brightly as Lucian's. I walked away, my stomach doing twirls at the thought of Lucian.

The nauseous feeling in my stomach only grew as I neared the grand double doors of the ballroom. I was fully aware of what we had been doing in there before Flora had been kidnapped. I couldn't figure out what Lucian had thought of that. He had been my first kiss. Draycottwas a town where very few girls still had their innocence. I was one of those girls. Suddenly, the nausea was replaced with fear. Lucian probably had years of experience. Everything was happening so fast. The thought reduced me to tears.

The strong, rebellious girl I was no more. I would have to admit it sooner or later. Lucian could do anything he wanted to me. I would fight, but it wouldn't be any use if he used force. I was no fighter in his presence. With a shaky breath, I opened the door.

Music swirled all around the vast room. Lucian was at the piano, almost covered in shadows. The moonlight barely reached their fingers to his tall form in the darkness. Sweet, somber tunes flowed out of the piano, filling the ballroom with a crescendo of music. The harmony was so delicate I was afraid to speak. I could only watch as he continued playing. The scene was so picturesque that I wished it would stay like that forever. His beauty was beyond words. Or maybe that was just because I was compelled into thinking that because I was his mate.

The Alpha's mate.

What silly words.

The music stopped with the high trill of a note. For a moment neither of us spoke. I was afraid of breaking the gentle silence his music bought over the room. Then suddenly he was behind me. I could tell from the gentle breeze that followed a second too late and his breathing soft on the back of my neck.