CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT - Return to Haven

Lord Frost escorted Grace, Chad, and Emily into a different room down the limestone corridor. It was empty except for an old wooden desk and a clump of chairs. There were no windows, no books, and no artwork on the plain stone walls. It was a rather depressing room but it fits the mood of the Frunden family as they sat down across the large wooden desk from Lord Frost who rested his head in his hands for several moments. His long blonde hair that he wore in a neat ponytail was frayed and strands of hair fell around his face. Before anyone could say anything, another face came into the room and Lord Frost looked up. The man was almost as tall as Lord Frost with short brown hair and soft eyes.

"Ah, perfect," he said. "This is Lord Avanti, another Higher here in Haven. He is a very honorable man." Lord Avanti bowed his head at the family and Lord Frost addressed the Higher. "This is Timber Brogan's family. Timber has been attacked and poisoned with Wolfsbane. If you could, go to their home in Fort Bragg and find out what you can. Her attacker is dead on their floor. He was killed by Timber. Report back to me as soon as possible, please."

Lord Avanti nodded and vanished. Lord Frost sighed and sat back in his chair, looking at the worried family with heavy faces.

"I must ask you all very difficult questions and I expect the truth from you. I do know when I am being lied to so dishonesty is ill-advised. After I am finished, I will answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability." Lord Frost sighed. The Frundens looked at him with deep concern on all their faces. "My first question should be simple to answer. Does anyone outside of the three of you know what Timber is?"

"No," said Grace confidently. "Timber has managed to prevent herself from Turnin' while we are out. We did go to Disneyland this summer and someone recognized her at the airport."

"Who was it?" asked Lord Frost immediately.

"I think her name was Amy? I can't remember," said Chad.

"She had brown eyes and silver hair like Timber's fur. She made flowers grow out of her hands," said Emily.

"That would have been Emmie, one of Timber's friends from when she lived here," said Lord Frost with relief. "Emmie is not a threat to anyone. She would not have exposed Timber. She would have tried to protect her. Can you think of anyone with a grudge against her?"

"There's a child at Timber's school that she has had run-ins with," said Grace, "but she's a ten-year-old girl. Timber's attacker was a fully grown man."

"You are right, of course," said Lord Frost. "If you cannot think of anyone you know who would want her dead that tells me that it is someone who has no mutual connection with you has been hired to murder Timber. Timber's name is famous within the walls of Haven. She is the first and only one of her kind. Unfortunately, some are intimidated by her immunity to werewolf venom and would deliberately cause her harm. This raises the question of how the attack was made possible because no one has escaped. The walls are rigged with alarms if anyone tries." He stopped thinking out loud and turned his attention to the youngest Frunden. "Emily, can you tell me how long Timber fought this man?"

"I think it was five minutes," said Emily with uncertainty. "I don't know. I'm sorry."

"It is alright," said Lord Frost. "You are only six years old. I do not expect you to be able to answer that question with accuracy. I am only looking for a rough estimate." Lord Frost was quiet for a moment. "Has Timber gone through any physical changes recently?"

"She started her first cycle yesterday," said Grace, though she looked mortified about revealing something so personal. "She's been weak."

"That answers my question that only Timber could have answered. I wondered why Timber could not kill her attacker at once and why she was so bruised."