Thirty-Nine

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Ceci

You are hilarious, really good to see you! You're awesome. And Ugh, that's what started happening to me on Monday.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Jack

Gary is here later today. Here's a summary from a motion we filed in his police brutality case:

On March 27, 2016, Dr. Diane Faucey, a 41-year-old Ph.D. in musicology, left the screening of a documentary on Occupy Wall Street. Her passenger was her husband, Gary Roland, a 37-year-old poetry instructor and graduate student.

Police noted Dr. Faucey's headlights were off, then turned on, but cited no unusual driving. Police stopped Dr. Faucey, and parked their car behind her Prius. They interviewed her while she sat in her car. Officers Easton and Ansel then returned to their car to confer. Easton turned off his body cam, then told Ansel that Dr. Faucey was a "possible DUI" but "I don't think we have enough" and the DUI is "weak if it's anything." Unknown to Easton, his admissions were all recorded by Ansel's body cam. Officer Ansel suggested to Easton that the weakness could be fixed by getting Dr. Faucey out of her car to do voluntary roadsides.

The officers returned to Dr. Faucey, had her exit her car and begin roadsides. They are joined by a third officer, Hogarth. Along the roadside, Dr. Faucey's Prius is first (Car 1), Officer Easton's and Ansel's car is second (Car 2), and Officer Hogarth's car is third (Car 3). The dash cams for Car 2 and Car 3 are recording. The Roadsides are administered by Easton outside the view of all the cams. The officers elect to arrest Dr. Faucey on "suspicion of DUI," place her in Car 2, and begin questioning her about a breath test.

Gary Roland is still waiting in the passenger seat of Car 1, the Prius. Officer Hogarth tells him that he has "five minutes" to call a ride before the Prius will be towed. The officers continue questioning Dr. Faucey in the back of Car 2. Mr. Roland is unable to get a friend to the scene in five minutes. He tries to tell the officers he will have to walk home.

Dash cam footage shows Mr. Roland trying to get the attention of the officers who are questioning Dr. Faucey. Then, with his hands up, he cautiously approaches the front of Car 2, bends over, and places both his hands on the push bar and waits to speak to the officers. Officers Easton, Ansel, and Hogarth rush Mr. Roland, place a Taser on the back of his neck, cuff him behind his back, and quickly trundle him off behind Car 2.

Directly in front of Car 3, in full view of the Car 3 dash cam, the three officers and Mr. Roland stumble and fall in a pile on the pavement. Police are on top and Mr. Roland is on the bottom. Body cam video shows Roland motionless, while officers yell, "Stop resisting!" Mr. Roland is hogtied and taken to jail. The Car 3 dash cam has not been produced.

Gary Roland, who submitted with his hands up, placed both hands on the push bar, was seized and hand cuffed behind his back, is charged with feloniously attacking and assaulting two police officers.

Hey Ceci. Gary, the poetry grad student/alleged cop beater is here at my office. Any status on the  rear view video?

Ceci

I'm very sorry but we do not have an update for you. Office got swamped. We will attempt some things today. Not hopeful because of the view and frame rate. The window is so small.

Jack

Got it. No prob. We know the limits. Do your best.

Ceci

He's been working on it now for a bit. Still trouble-shooting the challenges. I'll keep you updated.

Jack

My cousin Gabe, a Boulder cop, is giving us a general tutorial on the video system. Any questions for him?

Ceci

Where's the car 3 video? 

We're still trying to find a way to download the video in question. Does he know how? 

Currently we are doing a frame by frame screen grab of the video. About 120 shots so far. That's about 4 seconds in. 

Will continue to see what there is to see.

[⭐VOTE⭐ for poetry instructors!]

Photo: Police Cars by diegoparra, 2016  (Pixabay #1531273).