5-Halloween

Squidward stood outside Spongebob's front door nervously. He was holding a bouquet of flowers, fresh and grown from his garden. Today was the day that he was finally going to tell Spongebob how he felt. He was about to knock on the door when it swung wide open.

"Squidward! What are you doing there?" Spongebob questioned.

"I, um..." stuttered Squidward. He held out the bouquet to Spongebob. "I picked these for you."

"Wow, thanks!" Spongebob took the flowers. Patrick walked up behind Spongebob and placed his chubby arm around Spongebob's shoulders.

"Oh yeah, guess what Squidward, Patrick and I are in a relationship now!" exclaimed Spongebob. Squidward felt his heart sink. They were? Those words pierced through his heart and he felt like it had shattered into a million pieces, as if it were made out of a delicate, thin glass.

********

Squidward sits up in bed. It was just a dream? Getting up, he realized that it is finally Halloween. Sighing exasperatedly, he tugged on the costume. Mr. Krabs had urged him and Spongebob to wear one for work, because apparently it would be "good for business".

********

Squidward awkwardly stepped outside in his pirate costume. He hated dressing up for Halloween; what he really liked was stealing candy from unsuspecting little kids that whined too much.

As soon as he entered the Krusty Krab, Spongebob ran up to him covered in a white sheet.

"That's your costume?" Squidward inquired in disbelief.

"I know, I'm such a spooky ghost," joked Spongebob. "Oh yeah! I almost forgot, Mr. Krabs wants you to hold this bowl of candy out for the children that pass by this restaurant." Spongebob handed him a giant witch's cauldron filled to the brim with sugary treats that melt in your mouth.

Squidward looked at the bowl with disgust. "These will give those annoying little brats cavities for sure," he mumbled.

"Squidward! Don't think like that," scolded Spongebob. He ran into the kitchen, most likely to add decorations to the already glammed up restaurant.

Squidward exited the restaurant from the front doors into the cool, autumn air to hold out the candy to the trick-or-treaters. Now alone, he was able to daydream in peace. His mind wandered to the strange dream he had last night. He had feelings for Spongebob...ew. Dreams are just dreams, right?

The minutes ticked by agonizingly slow, and Squidward's arms were starting to get tired. Nobody had even come by yet. Squidward decided to set down the cauldron and go inside.

"Hey, Squidward!" exclaimed Spongebob. "Already done?"

"Uhh, yeah," Squidward lied. Squidward took his usual post at the cash register.

"Business is so slow today," Spongebob mused.

"Obviously. Who would want to come here when there are parties to go to?" vexed Squidward. He wished he could be at home right now instead of having to be at the Krusty Krab. He always wished he was somewhere other than the Krusty Krab.

Spongebob set aside his mop. "We could go out for dinner!" he suggested.

"No," disclosed Squidward immediately.

"Movie?"

"No."

"Sleepover?"

"No."

"Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease," Spongebob begged. "We're buddies!"

"Can't you hang out with Patrick?" grouched Squidward.

"He left me to go to his parents' rock," sniffled Spongebob.

"Okay, okay. But don't expect me to share my blanket with you," Squidward stated, rolling his eyes.

"Yay!" Spongebob cheered.

********

Squidward groaned when he heard the sharp rings of his doorbell. He opened the door and Spongebob happily stepped inside.

"Why is this even necessary?" Squidward grumbled. "We live right next door to each other."

"Because now we can stay up all night playing...board games!" squealed Spongebob, pulling out stacks of board games. Squidward sat down and sank into his chair. This was going to be a long night.