Chapter Thirty-Four: The ER

Jerome woke up, once he tried to move, he was in a panic. His arms and legs are restrained by leather bound cuffs. A hand pushed against his chest.

"Jerome, relax, you are in the ER. Can you tell us what happened?" A voice asks. 'The...The ER? How...How did I get....I'm tired.' Jerome thought. Jerome's shirt is off, revealing scars and small black circle pads that are going up his sides. The pads hooked up to machines around him. An IV is in his hand and a tube up his nose.  Jerome could hear faint beeps from a heart monitor near him. Jerome take quick heavy breaths, he struggles in his restraints. He felt hands push on his chest as panicked voices filled his ears.

"Jerome, calm down. Calm down. Relax, you are safe." A soothing voice said, but that wouldn't work. His eyes open as a warm hand touches his. He saw a nurse put a syringe in the bag of his IV. Jerome felt the person's warm hand hold his and saw them give him a small smile. 'I know...I know this person..' Jerome thought. The person touches his arm as well.

"I wouldn't let them hurt you, biggums. Go to sleep, they will have you fixed up soon." A voice said. Jerome stopped struggling, he closed his eyes. He felt an overwhelming wave of drowsiness hit him. He tried to hold the person's hand back, he slipped back into unconsciousness.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
*Two Hours Ago*
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

"How did it go?" Lillian asks him. He gives her a small smile and looks away. She gets up from her seat in the waiting room, she touches his arm as she went close to him. "I at least wanted you to try and you did. That is all I wanted from you." Mitch holds up a little card and she takes it. "Another one? Okay. This Friday, but I have classes on Friday." Mitch looks at her. She gives the card to Mitch. "Maybe Jerome could take you." Mitch takes a step back, fear crosses his face making her touch his hand. "Or not. But you have to talk to him eventually....Come on. Lets get some lunch." Mitch nods. They both leave and get into the car. Mitch stares at the window as she gets into the car and buckles up. She rest her hands in her lap, the car not even started. Mitch looks at her. She is staring at the steering wheel. "I don't mind you staying with me, Mitch, but....you can't just run away from everything and expect to solve itself. You have to face it eventually." Mitch looks away from her, he grips his seat belt, tempted to just walk home.

"I-I know." Mitch said. Lillian looks at him.

"Do you wanna try Jerome?" Lillian asks. Mitch looks at her, she grabs his hand once she saw fear in his eyes. "I'll be with you, how about that?" Mitch relaxes a little.

"Thank you." Mitch said. She gives him a small smile.

"No problem, let's go to Jerome's." She said as she let go of his hand. Mitch looks away from her. He gives her the directions as they drove along and once they got into the driveway, Mitch didn't want to go anymore. The car was here, so Jerome is home, but Mitch rather not go. Lillian gets out, she looks at Mitch. "Mitch...come on...Nothing will happen, I promise." Mitch opened the door and got out. He closes the car door and looks at Lillian as he goes over beside her.

"Maybe we can do this another time—" She grabs his hand and pulls him behind her as they head to the door.

"No. Come on. It has been four weeks. It is time to talk about this with him." She said. She knocks on the door, no response but the door is already open. Mitch goes into, smelling alcohol. 

"Jerome?" Mitch asks. He walks inside and looks around, Lillian following him. He checks a few rooms and follow opens Jerome's bedroom. Mitch gasps. "Call an ambulance, now!" Mitch runs in and falls to his knees beside Jerome. Lillian pulls out her phone as Mitch tries to wake Jerome up. Mitch grips Jerome's arms. "Don't you dare die on me, biggums."