XIII

On their return, the group was greeted by the procession of new trainees. It dawned on Adria how fast time can go; three months passed since being in Hana with Susanne, and now, the newer bait was awaiting their address. Keith left Sheena after the meeting with His Majesty whilst Erwin, Mike and the four remained for a few more hours.

      By the time Viktor, Graham and Leo disarmed by the stables and were allowed through the Trost gates, the presentation was already in session. Keith gave his speech almost identical to Erwin's, minus the mention of shifters. He was in the process of naming the top ten of the Thirty-Seventh class when Adria caught Neal's eye.

      As predicted by Hanji months ago, he was ranked first. He stood as if he was free from unblemished character and multiple murders weighing down on him. Neal's shoulders were pricked behind him as he stood, Adria tried her best to refrain from eye contact but she could still feel the ice blue eyes follow her. A spark of something rose inside her chest and almost impulsively, Adria reached out and latched onto the hood of Viktor's cloak.

      He hadn't spoken since her agreement towards the Black Battalion, brooding was Viktor's downfall and he was more than aware of it. Even though she didn't put force behind the tug, Viktor willingly came to a halt and faced her. Surprisingly, his features held no malice as she predicted—his eyes drooped in exhaustion and his arms came around her in an embrace.

      She supposed he was that relieved for finally knowing his identity that the ordeal grew too much; Viktor had never learnt to supress his emotions, he was either placid or everything at once. Now, was that moment. Adria stood limp while a few stray cadets cast glances whilst others made googly eyes and cooed that they were 'star crossed lovers'.

      "Thank you," Viktor murmured, breaking away.

      As Adria dragged her heels behind him, the orange spark that danced around Neal's knuckles went unnoticed beneath the guise of the green unicorn.

* * *

     In the mess hall, Adria lay asleep beneath the book Neal had gifted her. At the end of the table, the group chatted over their next moves. Viktor carefully pried the journal from Adria's elbow and returned to his seat across from Hanji—Adria had attempted to find information on the Tybur family yet succumb to the accumulated fatigue from the last couple of months.

      "So far everything has gone to plan," Hanji templed their fingers. "Neal cooperated with Abram's orders and had a perfect score to seat first—he even surpassed your training results, Viktor. He's made no violent advancements towards Michael or I, though his motives remain unbeknownst. Neal made no relationships in the Thirty-Seventh, nor did he speak at all."

      Mike tipped the neck of the draught beer to his lips, "And what is the plan? We have no current objective."

      Erwin smoothed down the map which the Titan had produced in their earlier expedition, "I think we need to focus beyond Hana and scope new territory. Now that the Eldian and Marley dots have been connected our priority should remain on Titans and expansion."

      "Even if we do find land beyond we're powerless to reaffirm the defences of the Walls out there, why do you think Hana is such an isolated colony? They're bait," Keith dropped his legs up at the end of the map. "That Titan which approached Adria had intent, in the hearing against the Internal Brigade she confessed that she can sense Titans. . .I wonder how far that ability can stretch."

      Viktor's fist clenched on his thigh as Keith's gaze narrowed at Adria's sleeping figure.

      "I agree with Erwin on the premise that more expeditions need to take place," Keith's voice darkened. "Hanji, even though you said Neal wouldn't communicate did you catch any form of conversation with himself or notice anything out of the ordinary?"