Chapter 63

Upstate New York, USA

Late Spring 2015

"Well?" Pietro and Wanda looked up as Nina nearly skipped into Pietro's room. "What did they say? Are you free?" They didn't even need to answer. Nina could see the answer clear enough on both their faces; relief on Wanda's and an eagerness to be moving on Pietro's.

Not to mention that, instead of wearing plain, bland hospital-garb, Pietro was clad in normal clothes again. Or at least, normal for him. There was something rather comforting seeing him shrugging on a light runner's jacket over the athletic shirt and pants that she'd come to see as characteristic on him. Pietro grinned, spreading his hands wide in a showcasing pose before lifting the hem of his shirt. Nina blinked, swallowing back the urge to stare at his toned torso instead looking at the neatly healed wounds he was gesturing to. Though, once she turned her attention to them, it was hard not to stare at those too. Where there had originally been several bullet-wounds clear through his body, now the only evidence left of the devastating injuries were a few pale patches spread across his skin, the artificial flesh only barely tugging at his natural skin as scar tissue would've.

"Good as new," he declared smugly, looking between Nina and his twin, "you can barely even tell I was shot, no?" Next to him, Wanda scoffed, reaching over to tug his shirt free and yank it back down again. Nina snickered at the exasperated move, only barely able to keep from bursting into laughter at Pietro's surprised 'what' and Wanda's answering mutter of 'show-off.'

"So that's a yes to being free?" Nina teased. Pietro turned back to her, a grin once again on his face as, in a blink, he was at her side, an arm draping over her shoulder.

"Of course," he answered, barely sparing a glance at the indignant sound Wanda made.

"Don't do that," she scolded, marching up to her twin to lay a light smack on his chest, "you know the doctor said at least another week—" But Pietro waved her off.

"I'm fine," he insisted, "and it was barely even three feet; I wasn't even going that fast. Besides, what do they know about our Enhancements anyway? Maybe not using it is worse than using it." Wanda was unimpressed and unconvinced, fixing Pietro with an admonishing look as her arms crossed over her chest. Nina just felt uncomfortable.

On the one hand, she sort of knew how he felt; there had been times over the past week where she'd felt like the warm, hazy feeling deep in her chest had been on the verge of bursting free. So far she'd been able to keep that from happening, forcing herself to keep perfectly still, forcing herself to focus on her breathing until the feeling eventually faded. But she knew that wasn't going to cut it for long. The sensation was getting stronger. Her powers were getting stronger. Even just thinking about it had the feeling slowly spreading through her chest from its resting place beneath her sternum.

"Nina?" Her attention snapped back to the Twins, noticing they were both looking at her in concern. Wanda stepped forward, brushing her fingers against her arm as she searched Nina's face. "Are you okay?" Nina swallowed before nodding.

"I'm fine." Wanda cocked her head slightly, a faint line of concentration forming between her brows.

"Are you? You got so serious all of a sudden." A weak laugh escaped Nina and she waved it off.

"It's nothing," she glanced between the Twins, giving them each a small smile before a frown of her own appeared as a thought struck her. "Wait, you couldn't—" A nearly worried but sheepish expression flitted across Wanda's face. Nina's lips parted in surprise. "You couldn't read me? With your powers?" Wanda shrugged uncertainly.

"No, not always. Not like I could before..." Before her powers manifested, Nina supplied for herself at the pointed way Wanda trailed off. Nina swallowed thickly. Wanda reached out again, this time giving Nina's arm a gentle squeeze.