CHAPTER NINETEEN: INFERNO (5/6)

Kas, Mack and Worm stood shoulder to shoulder as the side of the F-88 split open, allowing the pink smoke to spill inside. Three silhouettes stepped through it and came aboard, their weapons aimed high as though they were expecting trouble.

The bald man at the front appeared to be the leader. Behind him were a Sharanese woman and a man with arms as thick as his legs. The bald one pulled his breathing mask down under his chin so he could speak.

'Captain Mack. I don't believe it. We thought you were--'

'Dead. Yeah, I heard,' Mack replied.

'You've no idea how relieved we are to see you.'

'It's good to see you too, Sudds. You can lower your weapons; these two ladies are friends of mine.'

The three soldiers looked at Kas and Worm and slowly lowered their rifles. Kas had a lot of questions but she decided to stay quiet for the time being and listen.

'These new recruits?' Sudds asked.

'That one's just a kid,' the woman said, her voice muffled under her mask. Worm frowned and crossed her arms.

'They're not recruits,' Mack replied.

'Then what are they doing here?'

'It's a long story, but the truth is I probably wouldn't be here if not for them. How's everything here?'

Sudds tore his stare away from Kas and shrugged. 'Same as ever. There'll be one helluva party tonight, though.'

'Did you get it?' the woman asked.

Mack smiled coyly and gave a small nod.

'Where is it?'

'You're standing in it.'

The armed trio looked around as if they'd only just noticed the slick black vessel surrounding them.

'Hello,' came a voice from the walls. The three soldiers immediately tightened their grips on their guns though they weren't sure where to point them. 'My name is Astrid.'

'Astrid...' Sudds repeated. 'You're an AI?'

'I am, yes. What are your names?'

'My name's Noa Suddanga but everyone calls me Sudds. This is Pari,' - the female soldier nodded - 'and the strong silent one there is Beak.' The muscle man remained still and watchful.

Mack nodded approvingly. 'Now that introductions are out of the way, perhaps we could get to base? We've had a long journey and this is a small ship.'

Sudds took another look at Kas. 'You got any weapons I should know about?'

Kas shook her head slowly.

Pari smiled. 'She talks even less than Beak.'

'Enjoy it while it lasts,' Mack said.

Sudds turned to the muscle man behind him. 'Alright, give 'em the masks.'