Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven: How to be a Father

"Do what you love, love what you do, and deliver more than you promise." -Harvey Mackay.

-

 Whoever created this physical training course is a lunatic. I understand that an agent needs to be at the peak of their physical abilities during missions; however, no one will be if they are eternally sore as a result of their training. It is no wonder why any so-called superheroes are only associated with S.H.I.E.L.D. for they are the only ones able to survive such conditioning. The tormenting cycle of lack of sufficient sleep and exhorting my body beyond its comfortable means of labor is exhausting every ounce of energy within me. 

  My typical routine while participating in the trianing course begins early in the morning. I have to wake up and train with Rian from 7:00- 10:30 every morning. In the hours in-between conditioning I am either stuck in my room studying the rules and regulations of S.H.I.E.L.D. or sitting in a classroom-like setting being taught the rules of being an agent. Then the second session is after lunch from 3:00-6:00. I have never been a fitness fanatic so these workouts have been killing me. The first two days I could barely move I was incredibly sore; despite my aching body, that did nott make Rian go easy on me during training those days. In fact, he may have even had me do harder exercises those days.

 "This is exactly why we need to train you," Rian told me after I began slowing down during a sparring session, "If you hurt now, you'd be down for the count after one hit from Loki's scepter."

 That statement has been stuck in my head for the past five days I have been training. If I am unable to handle a few sore muscles how would I handle a knock-out hit to the head or being thrown to the ground? I would never survive in combat if I succumb to any bit of pain inflicted upon me. So, I pushed myself; I set my own personal goals. I never once complained about my body aching. I pushed on. Soon I didn't become sore after my daily training. I became stronger and my endurance is starting to become longer. The 3 mile warm up run became nothing more than a quick little jog.

 With my hectic schedule on board the helicarrier, the only time I ever see Tony is the thirty minutes where the end of my session overlaps the beginning of his. Honestly, I doubt I would see him any more even if I was without a strict routine. I know Tony is probably still trying to come to terms with having a daughter. I have to admit that I liked it better when he was unaware I existed rather than him avoiding me.

 All the other members are warming up to me. I have only seen a few glimpses of Agent Romanoff, however. I have not spoken more than five words to her. Agent Barton was just flown on to the helicarrier yesterday; I have not met him either. Thor isn't even on this world. So, I guess whenever I say the other members I just mean Captain Rogers and Doctor Banner. Captain Rogers is very nice to me; he has become a good acquaintance. Since most agents are too busied to be bothered by investing in a new agent. Steve has in a way stepped up to the role as integrating me into the team. I have learned Bruce is a very reserved man. He is quite nice, but rather quiet. Alex admires the man even if I hardly have spent a minute with him.

 Alex has been swept away in the world of S.H.I.E.L.D. He and Doctor Banner have actually become very good friends despite Alex's worry about rooming next to him. Everyday Alex gladly goes with Bruce to his workshop where he gets to help the doctor work on whatever S.H.I.E.L.D. assigned him. Doctor Banner has basically taken Alex under his wing, considering my friend has nothing to do while I'm busy. Even after my evening training sessions I am stressed trying to squeeze in a few of my online college classes. Luckily I've been ahead in all of my classes; if I am slacking for the next few weeks I will not be far behind. Plus, it's nearing the end of the semester which means our final exams are within the month.