11| Arianne

Arianne ignored Sam, the frazzled volunteer, hanging over her shoulder and ran her finger over the list of vendors

Arianne ignored Sam, the frazzled volunteer, hanging over her shoulder and ran her finger over the list of vendors. "I don't see the Screaming Sriracha truck on here. Are you sure they signed up?"

He wrung his hands together, his frantic energy setting Arianne's teeth on edge. "That's what they said. Went through one of the seniors. What do we do? Should I tell them we can't find them on our list?"

"No! The owners are David and Ally Wong. They won that reality cooking show a couple of years ago and have over a million Instagram followers. I don't want them to think we're unprofessional." Arianne flipped to her map and searched for an open spot. The police had sectioned off only a certain amount of space on the street, and it was currently filled to the max.

The flap of the tent whipped open as Morgan marched in. "I need to borrow you for a moment."

"Not right now. Do you know any place we can park a twenty-six-foot truck?"

"What about the parking lot?" Morgan asked.

"It's full."

"Have the volunteers move their cars. They're taking up a whole row."

"That might work." Plus, it was parallel to the street where the food trucks were lined up. She ordered Sam to hunt down every person with a car and make them move it within the next five minutes. "And send Amanda to re-assure Screaming Sriracha. I don't want them leaving."

"You done? Good." Morgan grabbed her elbow and hustled her outside, swinging Arianne around, so they faced each other. Shaking her shoulders, she asked, "Why did you not tell me you have a hottie dangling on the line?"

Arianne shook her back. "I don't have anyone dangling. Hottie or not."

"What about that grade A, verifiable man meat that came here specifically for you?"

Arianne pursed her lips, going through the list of guys she knew. The only possibility could be.... "Garrett? He's here?" she whispered, a flutter deep in her stomach.

"So you do know." Morgan nudged her like a proud mama who's daughter just won a gold medal. "I ran into him about an hour ago. Why didn't you tell me you had someone?" She leaned in, a conspiring twinkle in her eye. "Or is this some secret tete-a-tete you don't want anyone to know about?"

The idea of a secret rendezvous with Garrett of all people made Arianne want to laugh. It'd be pretty hard to get it on when both parties were celibate. "You've been watching too much Scandal."

"What I'm watching is you avoiding the question." Eyes narrowing, Morgan stepped back. "I've never seen you squirm over a guy before. If you don't like someone you straight out say it."

Because Garrett wasn't just any guy. He was an experience. Every emotion reverberated off him, amplifying until a person drowned in it. "He's a friend. Nothing more."