Done Deal

Hailey's POV

I knocked lightly as I gently opened the door to Gram's room, finding her reading one of her trashy magazines from her chair by the window, her face lighting up when she saw me.

"Sunshine." She beamed as I made my way towards her, leaning down and hugging her hello.

"Hey, Gram." I smiled as I sat down in the chair next to her. "How we doing today?"

"You tell me." She said, looking at me questioningly, the same way she had been for the past two weeks.

"I'm alright, Gram." I sighed. "Things are good."

"You've always been a horrible liar, Hailey." She scoffed. "You've been coming in here every day since he left looking like a zombie. Just call him."

"Gram, we've talked about this. Please just let me fix this my own way." I sighed. "I don't come here to fight with you every day."

"We wouldn't have to fight if you weren't so damn stubborn." She scolded me.

"And where do you think I get it from?" I said, a small smirk playing on my lips.

She rolled her eyes at me, waving her hand as if brushing me off as a small laugh escaped my lips.

"Anyways, that's not why I came today. I have some news." I said, nervously playing with the sleeve of my sweater as she watched me carefully.

"You realized you're being a pain in the ass and decided to call Harry?" She asked.

"Gram! Stop." I scolded her. "This isn't about Harry."

"He calls me you know, he checks in on me. And he always asks about you." She told me for the hundredth time.

"Can you just let me tell you my news, please? Stop being difficult." I sighed.

She just pursed her lips and looked at me, letting me know she wouldn't interrupt me again to remind me how bad I'd screwed things up with Harry. I was well aware that she thought I'd made the stupidest mistake of my life, and I just needed to tell her what I'd gone there to tell her. I was so nervous about the entire thing that it took me a few seconds and a few deep breaths before I could get the words out.

"I wanted to tell you...that I decided to take one of those positions offered to me, so I'll be leaving for a while." I told her, watching her eyes get wide and the smile spread across her face.

"You did?" She grinned, looking for clarification.

"Yes, I did." I sighed. "I just sent in the paperwork, I didn't wanna tell you until I was sure I couldn't change my mind. I leave in two weeks, I'll be back in the new year."

"Where are you going?" She asked excitedly, and for the first time I felt my nervousness shift into a small bit of excitement.

"I'll be doing some stuff in the Amazon rainforest for the first half, and then ocean preservation in the second half. I'll be in Peru, and then off the coast of Belize."

"Sunshine, that is so exciting! You are gonna have so much fun, I am so happy you finally decided to get out there. I am so, so proud of you." She beamed, tears pooling in her eyes as she cupped my face in her hands.

"Thanks, Gram." I said. "I'm really nervous to leave for so long, I'm gonna miss you so much."

"Oh, stop it. Don't you worry about me, or your brother, or anybody else. You get out there and save the planet, we'll be fine." She promised.