18. Forever and always

This chapter is dedicated to RedPanda1203 and pearlreader5 who have supported me from the beginning.

Ai Jei POV

"Now for the finalists of the Wu Xi tournament. Sir Jei and Sir Bing!"
The crowd went wild at the mention of my stage name : Sir Jei, after all I had won all of my matches so far in this tournament.
As I stepped into the arena I thought back on what had happened in the past month.

It had been very hectic since I had left my ailing fiancée to find a cure. I had searched the mountains many a time for the Buddha Flower but came up short without fail. When I had heard that the prize for the Wu Xi country international tournament was a single Buddha Flower I had to get it. After all I'm somewhat good at fighting.

I stepped forward, basking in the chanting of my stage name. It felt good. I looked my competitor in the eye. This is going to be an easy match. This kid was too young and inexperienced. Since I had left Xi I had gained quite a name for myself as the 3rd Princess of Shichuan. That was hilarious to me as I had never actually married Xi. People had long since stopped trying to seize Xi's assets.
I drew my sword.
"Let the match begin!"
Cautiously we circled each other. He thrusted and I dodged. I slashed and he parried. We went on until for so long it felt like we were dancing with our elegant swordplay. Finally I had grown bored and wanted to finish it quick. I jumped into the air, the sun behind me blinding my opponent. With one smooth gesture I drew my sword back for the final lunge and imbedded the sharp tip into Sir Bing's bobbing Adam's apple. I wiped my jian on my cloak as blood trickled out of the newly deceased person's mouth. Someone should probably clean it up I thought smirking. I headed up to the podium to collect my cash winnings and the Buddha flower. I gently opened the lid of the elaborate box which now lay in my hand. The Buddha flower glowed back in its gold splendour. Quickly I verified that it was real and went on my way back home, back to Xi. On my way back I stopped in a small log cabin, a day's ride from the palace where Xi's condition was kept stable and monitored by the best doctors the Shichuan country had to offer. I couldn't just galavanting into the city wearing musty old travellers clothes. I have a reputation to maintain after all, so on the way out I had left a spare change of imperial clothes in the cabin here because after all the wading and walking I did the last thing I needed was heavy garments weighing me down. God it was a long journey. Thankfully the Buddha flower doesn't have an expiry date. I shimmied out of my travelling rags and into the lush silk of my imperial garments. I arranged the sheni and stepped out of the cabin. I walked over to the next town to rent a stallion. Once I was seated on the horse and the intricate box containing the Buddha flower securely strapped into one of the saddle bags I Bengal my journey back home.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
At the palace

I galloped through the gates of the palace as I was let in instantly. Everyone knows who and what I am. I stopped at the entrance to the doctor's courtyard and handed my stallion's reigns to the stable boy. I grabbed the casket containing the Buddha flower and sprinted to Xi's bedside.
Shoving the casket into the doctor's arms I told him to make the cure. I waited patiently for the doctor outside of Xi's resting room. The first time I would see him after 2 months I would be delivering the cure.
I had hurt my heart seeing him lying there so pale and helpless. I remember wondering where my Xi had gone. I had almost broken down in front of everyone.
"Here is the cure 3rd Princess." Being called the 3rd Princess by the doctor warmed my heart. I meant I was still linked to Xi no matter what. I ran to Xi's bedside and fed him the cure. Concubine Chen came up to me and hugged me. I prayed into her shoulder for his health.
"A..a..Ai Jei.." came a broken voice. I walked over to Xi's bedside and stared at his face that was rapidly begging to return to his normal complexion. I kneeled down, tears dropping over the threshold of my eye and down my cheeks. He was okay.
I felt his warm body heat embrace me as I sobbed. He was alright...he was alright.
"Ai Jei.." I looked up at him. "I will love you forever and always."
I smiled at him, my eyes still red and swollen.
"Forever and always."