Chapter 33

Of course his siblings wouldn't believe Elijah. They didn't want to hear any of his suspiciousness towards their mother. Maybe it was was wishful thinking, maybe they shut their eyes from any strangeness Esther spilled. Elijah even mused that they accused him, the one that devoted his whole life to keeping this family stable, that he wanted to rip their happiness apart. But surely that wasn't Elijah's intention. It was a part of his mission to keep them all safe, even if he so miserably failed throughout the years. Especially now that Grace joined them. She was an even easier target as she was much easier to kill. 

Elijah' thoughts wandered off to all their acquaintances that sticked with them for some time. Tatia, Tristian, Lucien, Aurora, Celeste, Marcel...most of them died, the rest had suffered immensely. Nothing of that he wanted for Grace. Was she the one he could protect? He wanted nothing more. 

Adding to that, she was the only one who believed him. He remembered that she wanted to talk to her sister about last night. But would Elena tell her anything now that she found out that Grace was more deeply involved with the Mikaelsons than she would've assumed? Probably not. 

Usually, Elijah wouldn't have worried that he hadn't heard of her for some hours now. But there was a feeling inside him, a tight grasp around his heart actually, that told him that something was wrong. It always surprised him how deep the bond with Grace ran. Elijah didn't believe in a higher force anymore, his existence was the best evidence, but Grace was closest to a gift from heaven as it could be. It felt like they were meant to be, even if it probably wasn't the best option for the lovely girl. She could have been happy if she wouldn't have found out about this. If she just stayed in New York. Still, it was to late for that and Elijah's usually strong self control, his ability to ban his emotions from coming to surface, shut off whenever she was close. He couldn't fight it, he couldn't push her away and he slowly accepted the fact that Grace wanted to be with him, too. She had found an unique way into his heart. 

He decided to check on her and proof a theory. If she won't talk to Grace, Elijah himself would make her. He knew that Grace wouldn't like his ways, but she hopefully would understand. Elijah could try for as long as he wanted, she eventually would see his dark side anyway. 

Some minutes later, he stood outside the Gilbert house and knocked. His hands were buried in his pockets, his posture tensed. He was sure something was wrong. When Elena opened the door, that worry deepened. Elijah couldn't hear her. The steady pattern of her undead heartbeat was usually music to his ears, but right now he couldn't make it out anywhere. 

"Elena." 

He forced a smile onto his face. At least he could still behave like the gentleman he raised himself to be in front of other people. 

"Elijah." 

Elena seemed confused, but wasn't unfriendly like earlier. She was nervous when she saw the Original, her blood pumped through her body fast. 

"Where is your sister?" 

He tilted his head slightly and tried to see through Elena. Her reaction nearly made this cold feeling inside him take over. On the doppelgänger's face was again a hint of guilt, but she was obviously hiding it. Something was wrong and he honestly hoped for Elena's and the Salvatore's lives that she was well on just on a shopping trip. Elijah didn't know what he would do if he would find out that she was hurt. 

"She um, went out an hour ago. Don't know where she went." 

The Original nodded and felt tempted to simply vanish and look for Grace, making sure she was ok. But he had no clue where to look and it would waste too much time.

"Maybe she can join us later. I wanted to ask you if you would accompany me. I want to show you something." 

Hesitantly, Elena nodded. Of course she knew that this was dangerous. It's like walking into the lion's den, but it would make Elijah more suspicious if she would refuse him. He could enter the house on his will after all because of Grace. There was no place where Elena would be safe.