Chapter Ten

'Wake up Lydia.' Saffi's pearl smooth face and crown of frizzy hair threw itself into sharp focus above Lydia. Lydia's body ached, her lungs felt as if they were made of sandpaper, each breath bought with it a short sharp shock of pain. She moaned, wrapped her arms tightly round herself, rolled over and retreated into the cocoon of warmth around her. 

Saffi pulled off the covers. 'Lydia, come on. You slept the whole of yesterday, it's still early, the sun's just up and the new moon will be up soon but you've missed a day. And there's something you must see. Now come on!' 

In a drowsy trance Lydia turned over, slowly sat up, rubbed her face and placed her feet on the floor. The cold metal on her bare skin made her shudder. Collecting her thoughts she looked up at Saffi. 'A day? What's happened?' 

'You've got a visitor ... or two. Come on,' Saffi cupped her hands round Lydia's and pulled her gently from her bed.  

Still overcome with the fugue of sleep Lydia struggled up to the common room and watched vacantly as Saffi made her a hot Quloor. The events at the market were a distant memory, seemly clouded by the mist of time and her lingering exhaustion. Had it really happened or was it a dream of what might have been. She shook her head to rid herself of the haze and sat contemplating the steaming cup that Saffi thrust into her hands. The lovers had got up from the table as she had come in and stood by the door. Her ears pricked up to their whispering voices. She stared at them. They quickly averted their eyes from her. 'What's wrong with those two Saffi?'  

'Ignore them Lydia, they think you're a witch,' smiled Saffi.' Are you ready?' 

'A witch? Maybe I am. Looks like they think I'm the devil incarnate.' Lydia picked up a few ration bars from the bowl on the table and stuffed them in her pocket. 'What do you mean ready. Ready for what?' 

'It's all got a little crazy here this morning,' Saffi pulled her to the window, 'Look!' 

Lydia screwed up her eyes in puzzlement, trying to focus through the dusty screen. She rubbed the screen with her sleeve as if it would change the view but perplexingly it remained the same. Outside the view which the day before yesterday had consisted of the tumbled down walls of a deserted village and the dusty bowl of endless desert beyond now contain a scene of frantic activity. A riot of coloured tents had sprung up around the hab-huts, packed so close together they barely left space between them to walk. A rabble of unkempt of children standing outside cheered at her face and began waving for her to come out.  

'They started to arrive yesterday Lydia, just a few. When we woke up this morning, we saw this. It looks like the whole of the population of Kar'rak's descended on us.' 

'Where's Nape?' 

'He's out there trying to keep them out of his precious temple. He thinks that it's his, not theirs. Look there's Tekinon, you'd better go and see him. He's been asking that you go out there to talk to them. Come on, I'll help you suit up.' 

Lydia climbed into her suit and allowed Lydia to rotate her helmet until she heard the re-assuring click of the locking mechanism. Now she had completed her part of the deal with the Nergalrhod there was no point in taking any further risks. She checked her suit readings and ensured the oxygen values were fully opened. 'I'd better go Saffi. Are you coming?' 

'I think I'll stay Lydia. After last time, if you don't mind. You do understand don't you? Tekinon and Ned are out there, you'll be alright.' 

Lydia slipped through the airlock. The waifs all crowded around squealing with excitement at seeing her. Tekinon was impatiently shifting his bulky frame from foot to foot trying to contain the animated flapping of his hands. Seeing her his face wrinkled up in pleasure. 'Lydia, my people have answered your prayers. Come and see.'