Chapter 15

Slap! Swish! Slap! Swish! Thump!

Disturbed from sleep by some commotion outside, I lifted my head up to the window, hoping to see what the commotion was. Somewhere below me people were running around and looking out across the city I understood. Orange lights glowed in the predawn light. Fires  had sparked in the section of buildings from where Kaelyn and I had entered the city yesterday. But where I would have expected to hear the roar of the flames, I heard the retorts of guns firing.

Before I could go back to bed as the fire and shots were all the way across the city, a loud whistling followed by an explosion shook the building. Knocked to the ground by the explosion, I picked myself up carefully, avoiding the shattered glass from the now broken window. Ignoring the tiny cuts on my face and hands, I stared wide eyed at the rubble across the street that had been a cafe. Never had I seen such destruction before, it was like the building had been knocked apart, like a toddler with building blocks.

Aware of the danger now, I looked around for Kaelyn, we needed to find somewhere safe, and quickly. The blast had woken her up and though wide eyed with panic, Kaelyn had already begun to lace her boots and pack up. Confident that she would be able to manage on her own, I brushed off my arms in case any glass had stuck to my clothing.

Jamming each of my feet into their boots, I made short work of lacing them up. Having slept fully clothed, all I had left was my blanket to pack. Giving it a quick shake in an attempt to remove any glass from it, I folded it up and shoved it into my pack. Checking to make sure we had everything, I pulled open the door. Gabbing Kaelyn's hand in mine so that I did not lose her in our flight, I rushed down the stairs and out the main door of the tavern.

People in various states of dress were moving in the same direction, and without a better idea, I and Kaelyn joined them. While I kept ahold of her with one hand, my other griped one of my pistols tightly. Never in my life had I experienced a fight like this, and instinct told me it was going to get a lot worse before the day was over.

Twice the loud explosions destroyed buildings on the street we and everyone else were following. Each explosion shoved us to the ground, while chunks of the buildings rained down on us. The sound of the explosion was like nothing I had ever heard before, deafening me for a brief span of moments after. I was unable to tell who was hurt in the poor light but from the screams and cries of help, not everyone got up each time.

The third explosion was not as bad as the others as it hit the side of a building, sending a few chunks of stone falling, instead of the whole building. Unfortunately what I did not know was that it was actually two explosions with the second one taking out a building behind me. Kaelyn perhaps caught unaware by the blast thudded into me. Worried for her I grabbed her as I felt her slide down my body. Looking at her face I noticed her closed eyes and peaceful expression.

Ignoring the screams and rumbling booms of more explosions I placed two fingers against her neck. Feeling a pulse, my fast beating heart slowed just a little allowing me to think. Kaelyn needed a hospital as though she was only unconscious, a doctor needed to check for other injuries. Patching bullet wounds and other injuries i could manage, but I had little experince with internal injuries.

Grabbing a nearby person by the arm, I shouted, "Where is the hospital."

Glancing at me with fear filled eyes the young boy pointed towards a building to our left. Thanking him I picked up Kaelyn and her pack in an awkward carry. Setting off down the side road, I listened as the screams from earlier doubled as someone screamed, "They are inside the city..." before being cut off suddenly.

Knowing that I could not protect Kaelyn like this, I forced myself into an unsteady jog. Soon the hospital came into view and grunting in effort I carried Kaelyn to the front door. Ignoring the words that the guards were saying I told the doctor, "She passed out after being struck by a piece of debris. I don't think it cut her much, though I can't see much in this light and was more worried about getting her here."