01

Nervousness was blinding.

Jenny was unable to think straight due to the fact she would be seeing someone from her past today. He had been back for more than a week now due to his brother's death and she didn't see him at the memorial, but her best friend did.

Jenna Sommers, her best friend, wanted to play matchmaker. She knew the chemistry that Mason Lockwood and Jenny both had in high school, and she only wanted her best friend to be happy. But Jenna was wrong to try and set the two of them up.

Jenny had been down the romantic path with Mason before and she had been left disappointed. They had been involved in a relationship at the end of high school and then they tried a long distance relationship once she went to a college out of state and he went to California and then to Florida, being obsessed with surfing and getting out of Mystic Falls.

Their long distance relationship didn't work. It had gotten too difficult to try and have a relationship without ever seeing each other so they agreed to end things, and then they never spoke again. That would all change through this barbecue that Jenna was having.

But she reined in those nerves, smoothed out her shirt, and took a deep breath. She could handle this. She grabbed the bottle of bourbon, the alcohol she planned to bring to this barbecue, from her kitchen counter and walked out the door of her house.

Jenny walked to the house next door and she arrived just at the same time Damon Salvatore had arrived. Alaric had invited him. She met up with him at the porch of Jenna's house and he wore a smirk directed at her.

"Jen," Damon greeted and he invaded her personal space by kissing her on the cheek. "How are you?"

"Damon," she greeted and she shook her head, a little smile coming to her face at the typical greeting Damon always gave her. He always loved to invade her space and she secretly liked it. And he knew that. "I'm very well."

She reached up and gave him a kiss on the cheek in return. In each other's presence, they both teased each other, always doing some intimate action. She wasn't usually one to play this teasing game. But this was Damon, and Damon was far from one to be shy with his flirtations and so he had a way of making her do the unusual.

Damon saw the bottle of bourbon in her hand and his smirk widened, "Bourbon and a kiss as a greeting. My kind of woman."

Jenny blushed and bit her lip before gaining a stern face, "Okay, we're not doing this today. No flirting. I want your best behavior."

"But my best behavior is no fun," he pouted and then he sighed. "On my honor as a gentleman, I'll be on my best behavior....at least, towards you."

"You're in no way a gentleman, Damon. But I trust you," she said and walked to the front door, knocking on it. "Now, come on."

Damon smiled while she wasn't looking at him. She was one of the only people in this whole town that trusted him. Alaric trusted him to some extent, but it was in no way like Jenny. She wasn't naive in trusting him. She knew he was bad news, but she was just...good, like an angel choosing to give him redemption and she never seemed to regret it.

Elena was the one to open the door and she immediately smiled, "Jenny!"

Elena quickly hugged her, giving her a bear hug. "Elena, you're squeezing me to death," she said, but she was smiling while saying it.

Elena let go of her and teased, "You're the one that used to say 'you can measure how much someone loves you by how tightly they hug you so bear hugs are the best hugs'."

"Quite poetic, weren't you?" Damon questioned.

"Damon, shush," Jenny gave him a stern look and then looked back at Elena. "And I still stand by that statement."

"I'm going to find Jenna," Jenny said, and Elena stepped aside from the doorway, letting Jenny and Damon through. Jenny was like a second aunt to her and she learned a lot from her growing up from Jenny being her babysitter.

Jenny then went to the kitchen to find Jenna, Damon following behind her. He noticed how she slowed down getting to the kitchen and her heart was beating so quickly, he wondered what was making her nervous or afraid. But once they entered the kitchen, he knew. Mason Lockwood was there and her heart skyrocketed as her eyes immediately found him as if those eyes were anxious to see him.

Jenny entered the kitchen and Damon quickly stepped beside her, grabbing her hand and entwining it with his. His thumb caressed the top of her hand, calming her down a bit. She looked at him questioningly, but he just shook his head and brought his lips to her ear, "You'll thank me later."

"Jenny," her best friend, Jenna, called out with a smile before narrowing in on how close Damon was to Jenny. "....and Damon."

"Hey buddy. We're doing shots. I'll get you both shot glasses," Alaric said, also curious as to what was going on between Damon and Jenny. Mason's eyes scanned Jenny, she looked nearly the same as she did in high school. He smiled at her and she smiled back at him.

"No need," Jenna said and tipped hers back, drinking all the alcohol in the shot and then giving the shot glass to Damon. "Here's mine."

Jenna grabbed her arm and pulled her with her out of the kitchen and to the living room where she said quietly, "What is Damon doing?"

"I think he's....helping," Jenny responded.

"By trying to seduce you? He needs to learn to keep his paws off. He's no good for you," Jenna ran her hands through her hair angrily as she didn't like Damon around her best friend. He was bad news and Jenny was the best person she knew.

"Jenna, it's fine," Jenny smiled, and the happy aura Jenny usually had came out, making Jenna calm down. Jenny wrapped her best friend in a hug, "I'm fine."

Jenna let out a breath of air and returned the hug, "Just know I'm here, and always ready to kick his ass."

And Jenny smiled wider, "Yes, I know."

Author's Note: Okay so this story starts in season 2 of TVD when they have the barbecue with Mason. Most of this story is going to be set outside the TVD universe because my character is going to be a clueless person on the supernatural for quite some time, so don't expect for the actual episodes of TVD to pop up.