Did Someone Say Squirrel?

"He looks rather pissed," Jessica whispered into Lena's ear as they were both sitting at the Slytherin table in the Great Hall. Only a few other students shared their table, since it was almost time for classes.

"Oh no," Lena mumbled, her head uncomfortably low, as if she were counting the strips of bacon on her plate.

"Yeah," Jess responded quietly. "And he is shooting daggers at you."

"I think I'm going to be sick."

"Don't be silly," her friend laughed. "Just think about it. The worst that can happen is that he will give you detention. And you've had that countless times before, so don't worry. You'll be fine."

"You don't understand," Lena complained with a groan. "It's not about the punishment, it's about the fact that he ..."

"Yes, yes," Jessica interrupted her, waving her hand dismissively. "I get it. You are embarrassed and worried about what he might be thinking of you now. If you want to hear my humble opinion, every man would be flattered. Not him, of course, for he is just the grumpy old dungeon bat and I honestly don't understand what you see in him."

At those words, Lena looked up from her plate full of untouched food, a glint of irritation in her eyes. "Don't call him that," she hissed. "He is neither old nor a dungeon bat!"

"Okay," Jess rolled her eyes, smirking. "Whatever you say. But seriously," she folded her napkin and placed it neatly on the table. "We need to get going or we'll be late."

Both girls stood and headed towards the corridor. As they reached the huge doors that lead out of the hall, Lena heard the very familiar rustling of heavy fabric, knowing immediately who was walking behind her. Suddenly, she was all too aware of her own body, of the way her heart sped up, of the now rather insecure way she held herself, even of the way her feet were carrying her. So, of course, just when she was about to lift her left foot, she tripped over her right one, almost causing her to stumble head-first into Jessica. Fortunately, she was able to catch herself but now didn't dare to move at all for fear of embarrassing herself in the most pathetic way she could think of.

Don't you worry, her inner voice reminded her. You've done that already.

One step, two steps, and Professor Snape was right next to her, his deep black eyes angrily burning holes into her heart.

So this was it. He would make her scrub the floors of the entire castle with a toothbrush. Or assign her the job of caretaker for one of Hagrid's beloved baby acromantulas. Or, even worse, he would scold her right here in front of his colleagues and her classmates. Lena really wanted to prepare herself mentally for the worst humiliation she had had to endure yet, but it was so difficult to concentrate on anything when he was so close.

She took a deep breath to calm her nerves, only to regret it instantly, since the subtle scent of potions mixed with herbs and parchment only further numbed her senses, making her incredibly lightheaded. A warm, tingling shiver ran down her spine. She was helpless to the power her professor's presence had over her, so all she could do was stand there, paralyzed, silently awaiting her punishment.

Yet, nothing happened. He didn't even stop. With billowing robe he darted past her and out into the hallways.

Jessica, who had been wondering where her friend was, had turned around and witnessed the scene. Sympathetically, she shook her head at the trembling girl whose face was matching the dark red shade of her hair. "Oh Lena," she sighed and grabbed her arm to pull her along. "You're a hopeless case."

"Do you think he noticed?" Lena asked breathlessly as they both hurried up the stairs.

Her friend's green eyes twinkled with amusement. "Noticed what?" The echo of her amused laughter bounced noisily off the castle walls. "That you're worried sick about turning in the wrong paper? Or that you are madly in love with him?" She didn't wait for an answer, just winked cheerfully. "Well, in either case, you quite literally rubbed it in his face."