Chapter 18 - Volcano Girls

"Hey, bro, what's wrong?"

Gabe's voice startles me out of my pissed-off haze. I'm curled up in a ball on the futon, still feeling like absolute donkey shit.

"Don't ask," I say. "It's really sad. And embarrassing, actually."

"I'm sure I've experienced worse," says Gabe.

"I'm not in the mood to talk."

"I can see that," Gabe says, putting his overnight bag away. "Maybe after you take a shower? It's free now."

Oh yeah. That's what I was waiting for before Fionna came to me. Wordlessly, I carry my stuff upstairs, trying to hide my face from everyone I pass. I see no sign of Fionna, not even in the living room, which really troubles me. Is she trying to hide from me?

I spend fifteen minutes in the shower, ten of which are just me standing under the water, staring into space. After I'm done, I return to the basement, where Gabe's sitting on the chair, twiddling his thumbs.

"Now are you ready to talk?" he asks.

"God, no," I grumble, flopping facedown on the futon. I grab the pillow and bury my face into it before yelling, "What the bloody hell is wrong with me?"

"I'd kinda like to know too," Gabe says, turning the chair towards me - I didn't even know that chair could do that.

I roll over onto my side, facing away from Gabe. "This cabin hates my guts, I swear. I've only been here, what, 48 hours and change, and already my first halfway-meaningful relationship is on the rocks. How wrong is that?"

"So you're having problems with Fionna now?" Gabe asks. "You want help? You know, it's funny how you're so much better at taking people's pain than giving 'em any."

"I take it that's not a compliment."

"Can you please look at me, at least? Maybe that'll help."

I sigh before turning over again to face Gabe. He's leaning forward in the chair to try and minimize the space between us.

"Fionna asked me if I loved her," I say.

Gabe nods once. "And what did you tell her?"

"The truth. That I've not even known her long enough to really fall in love with her."

"Oh. And she was really hoping you would say you already had."

"Why?" I ask. "Don't tell me she believes in insta-love at first sight or some shit like that?"

"No, of course not," Gabe says. "I can only imagine how awkward that must have been for you guys."

"Hella awkward," I say. "And then she went off to bed. Maybe she just wants to see if I change my mind after sleeping on it? I mean, I don't...I just don't wanna spend tonight hating myself. I've...I've never done this before. God, I'm such a bloody dumbass," I groan. "I know I shouldn't expect this to go perfectly smooth, but still, it sucks."

Gabe nods. "Tell me about it. But when you two talk again, you'll feel so much better. I can guarantee that."

"I hope so."

Gabe leans back and kicks up the recliner, then spins the chair around again. "Good night, bro." He gets up and flicks out the lights.

"'Night, dude."

Once again, Elijah appears in my dreams - this time with a foreboding, sobering twist. Tonight, I see not Gabe, but Fionna dying on the ground, bleeding from her neck, while Elijah stands over her, sneering horribly.