XXII ✘ Ribbon

💜 | A V A R Y S | 💜

At fifteen years old, Avarys was going mad with all these clothes.

Finding a gift for Clara was sheer torture. It was always testing him to his wits end. For sure finding military formations and solving math equations were easier than finding a gift for his adorable fiancee.

It was more pressure than shouldering a country in the future. Clara Estella Skotadi was the one who moves fashion trends. If she starts wearing violet dresses or high heels, the other nobles would follow suit, buying anything that looks like hers. It was sheer pressure. What if he buys something she doesn't like? What if he buys something tacky?

She'll break off their engagement!

"She won't do that." Amadeus supplied, carrying music sheets and ink bottles in his arms. It was as if his twin read his mind.

"But her 15th birthday's coming soon. I'm dying. This is important Amadeus, it's her debutante ball. I can't mess this up."

"It's scary how you say that with a straight face," Amadeus joked. "Did you find anything? How about just ask the saleslady and buy the most expensive thing here."

Avarys groaned. "It's not like Clara would like anything just because it's expensive." It would be easy if she does though. "You know how she rejected my gifts for four years in a row. You were there."

When Clara turned eleven, she rejected his Diamond Necklace.

When Clara turned twelve, she rejected this beautiful turquoise dress he pre-ordered from another kingdom.

When Clara turned thirteen, she rejected the glass shoes he had especially pre-ordered from one of Gardenia's best craftsmen.

When Clara turned fourteen, he went all out and bought her magic stones. She was flattered although she rejected them again saying it was too expensive and she wouldn't know how to use it.

Clara Estella Skotadi sure knows how to break a man's heart.

On her fourteenth birthday, she got fed up with his antics and told him that if he were to gift her something super expensive again, she'd reject it, again. She told him that it's alright if it's cheap. It's the thought that counts or so she says but she could have at least been specific!

Avarys sighed in defeat. "And all those years, she accepted the music notes you gave her, Margavine's puke of a cake and Andrew's shoe polisher. There must be something very wrong with this world. You know what?- I'm not even going to put in effort this time."

"Well hey, it's the thought that counts," Amadeus shrugged. "Let's find another store." His twin tried to reassure him buy hauling him out of the antique store.

Five stores later and Avarys still has not found anything. He was beyond hopeless at this point and Amadeus was laughing at his misery. He had been used to the smell of female perfume and fluffy skirts its no longer funny. His left eye was twitching in annoyance as the walked around the market streets. People momentarily stopped what they were doing to greet them amicably, because you don't just see royalty everyday.

"Hey Avarys, let's try Margarett's," Amadeus finally made himself useful and pointed at the boutique that his fiancee apparently oh so loves. Avarys remembers he did go there with Clara a few years back. "Clara basically lives there doesn't she?"

Avarys wordlessly entered the botique with a frown. He went through the usual routine, sorting through dresses, jewelry and shoes. It's not as if there's anything here that Clara doesn't own yet. And that's the problem.