Chapter Fifteen ☆

Eliza opened the door to her small condo, stepping into the darkness that enveloped the space. From within, she spotted radiant silvery markings emanating an otherworldly glow. Flicking on the lights, the room revealed her mother, seated patiently in a chair, adorned in black leather attire. 

With a deliberate movement, her mother raised her right leg, crossing it over the left, while her fingers rhythmically tapped on the armrest in annoyance. The luminous markings were still visible, exposing the tattoo she had attempted to conceal – one among several adorning her neck and collarbone.

Amidst the scene, Eliza caught the sound of muffled sniffling right beside her. Dawn, her eyes red from crying, stood beside her mother, clutching the very same silvery syringe that had been used on her before. Eliza's mother fixed her lips into a tight line as her gaze settled upon her daughter.

"Why were the two of you at Witcher's Place?" Eliza's mother tilted her neck to the side, her eyes locking onto Eliza, awaiting an answer.

"I needed to arm myself since you won't give me any answers," Eliza replied firmly.

She moved toward Dawn, freeing her from her mother's grasp. Dawn swiftly got up, her boyfriend emerging from the shadows within the house. His intense green eyes bore into both Dawn and Eliza with a menacing glare.

"I don't know who he is or why both of you are in my home."

Eliza knew from what Miss Canary had revealed that her mother had visited Ravamere. But the woman in front of her wasn't truly her mother. Her stance exuded readiness for combat, as if poised to strike at any instant. She twirled a broomstick behind her back and began a slow approach.

"Didn't I warn you that you're in the midst of your transformation?" She reached out, capturing a strand of Eliza's hair between her fingers. "You're drawing in evil," her voice whispered near Eliza's ear.

"I think the evil is already present," Eliza moved her head away, her gaze piercing her mother's eyes. The once-greyish blue hue had shifted, now a mere light gray.

The acrid scent that had accompanied her recent confrontations hung in the air, though it could also be attributed to David's presence. Eliza's mother was unaware of the other mystic battle that had occurred in the same space. It all started to piece together – her mother had been nearby when they were at Witcher's Place, but they had lost track of her movements.

Why had she returned to abduct Dawn?

She raised an eyebrow. "Oh, really?" she said, the indifference clear in her tone. Mom cleared her throat. Her boyfriend positioned himself in front of them, and the atmosphere in the room grew tense. Dawn glanced up, tucking her hair behind her ears. "Eliza, how did you find out about that store?"

Eliza remembered the time Mom had mentioned the store while using the syringe to cure Dawn. When it showed up on Google, she had decided to go and explore it herself. But she decided not to remind her mother about that moment, fearing she might erase Dawn's memories forcefully.

So Eliza simply replied, "Google," which was true.

Curious, her mother's boyfriend asked, "What were you doing there?"

"I wanted to see what tools witches use in their everyday lives. Is that a big deal? How else was I supposed to learn to defend myself?"

"Use your broomstick," Mom interjected. Her boyfriend wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her closer.

Unfazed, Eliza approached him, introducing herself, "I don't think we've met properly. Hi, I'm Eliza, Grace's daughter."

"I know who you are," he replied, his gaze shifting between Eliza and her mother. But instead of returning the introduction, he remained silent and strolled around the house.