Chapter 11. - Showing Weakness

It's like you're homesick for a place that doesn't even exist.

-Garden State

----------

THE NEXT MORNING Evie and I kept bugging Mal about her date with Ben while we were getting ready for the day. I wore black ripped jeans and a black crop top and had put the sunglasses Ben had given me in my hair. I wore black combat boots to top off my outfit.

"So, no kiss?" I asked. Mal groaned.

"No. We went to a lake and had a picnic and talked and I almost drowned, but Ben pulled met out. That's all," She told us, again.

"Well, that can be your next date." Evie winked. Mal groaned again and let herself fall on her bed with her head in her pillow. 

"Just drop it already. I told you what happened, so stop!" Mal pretty much begged after lifting her head from her pillow. 

"Okay, just one more thing," I said and Mal glared at me. I held up one finger and she eventually gave in and nodded slightly.

"Do you like Ben?" I asked and Evie joined my side, waiting for Mal's answer.

"I-I... I don't know. I'm not sure," She answered truthfully. I nodded, I knew she wouldn't say 'yes', but the fact that she didn't say 'no' was a really big deal for Mal.

"Okay," I said with a nod. I wasn't going to press further but knew that I had given her something to think about. After that, only a few words were exchanged before we left to meet up with the guys to go to our Goodness 101 class. We took our seats and everybody started working, or pretended to. I'm not sure. I stared out the window again until Fairy Godmother spoke up.

"Children, excuse me," She said while clapping her hands together. She took a breath before she continued. "As you know, this Sunday is Family Day here at Auradon Prep and because your parents can't be here due to uh, distance," I scoffed. "we've arranged for a special treat." She walked back to the front of the room and turned on a computer screen showing Maleficent very close to the camera.

"I don't see anything, nor do I hear..." Maleficent said. Fairy Godmother beckoned us forward and the Villains were struggling with the computer screen. I could see my father in the back to Evil Queen's right, he kept quiet. I think the screen went on because Evil Queen started talking to Evie.

"Oh, look how beautiful! Oh, you know what they say, the poison apple doesn't fall far from the tree," She said with pride.

"Don't you mean the weeds?" Maleficent mocked. The villains then started mocking Fairy Godmother and when she left they started talking to their children. But not my father. No, he and I had a silent stare down. He knew he didn't have to say anything, his glare said enough. He was silently telling me to not let him down, or there would be consequences. He was telling me to do whatever it would take. He kept holding my gaze and I couldn't look away if I did it would show him weakness. But I wanted to look away so bad. Just to stop feeling his cold hard stare judging me, criticizing me. Right when I thought I wouldn't be able to keep his gaze, the screen turned black. Jay had turned off the screen from beside me when their parents started arguing. I let out a breath that I didn't realize I was holding.

"I-I'm so sorry." Fairy Godmother apologized. I didn't understand why she apologized, she didn't do anything wrong.

"Thank you for the special treat," Jay told Fairy Godmother who had a look of pity on her face. I had never liked pity but didn't comment on it.

"Of course." She nodded and I couldn't take it anymore, I was the first one to turn around and leave, soon followed by Mal and then the others.

"M? Dee? What do you think our parents are gonna do if we don't pull this off?" Evie whispered. Mal and I shared a look.