CHAPTER 6: Unapologetic

VANESSA

"Do you know how important that meeting was?" He seethed with anger.

"Just as important as the meeting I had with you, I am guessing," I returned his gaze as I lifted my hands up to push him away from me.

However, my plan backfired as he held me by my wrists, pinning me to the wall. He said through gritted teeth, "Apologise and no one gets hurt."

"If I get hurt, you will be apologising to me and your dad to mine. I don't think you'll want that to happen, do you?" I said, my voice at the verge of faltering.

I tried my best to calm myself down, to forget the fact that he was dangerously close to me, so close that I could feel his raged breath on my face as his sharp stare drilled holes into my head.

"There is no need to make this difficult. Just say the damn 5-letter word and get over with it," He said as his grip on my wrists tightened.

I wanted to kick him where the sun didn't rise but he was to close to me for me to even move and it was as if the smell of his musky deodrant was suffocating me.

So, I just continued getting on his nerves, " I'll do you one better, I'll say a seven letter word...A-s-s-h-o-l-e."

He would give up if I acted impervious, wouldn't he?

"You don't even know how much loss I could have suffered if I missed that meeting," He said, his eyes locked with mine initiating a round of death stares.

"But you didn't, did you? Where as I couldn't complete my presentation. So if there is anyone who has to apologise, it's you," I sneered, doing my best to mirror his expression.

"Who the hell even locks someone in the sauna? What are you, six?"

"On the scale of one to five, yeah."

"If the scale you are measuring on is for lunacy, you are being rather modest," he scoffed.

We continued to struggle. His grip on my wrists was as strong as ever and though I was   a good five feet seven, he was nearly half a feet taller and that gave him advantage.

I underestimated him. He had no intention to release me, his grip only growing tighter, if that was possible. I could yell for help but to be honest, I'd lose the fight if I did that. I just wanted him to give up and then I'd peacefully go back to my room and get some much required sleep.

We both kept glaring at each other and my eyes began stinging from not blinking.

I was sure we were going to stand there, spewing venomous remarks in that office corner all night but then he took me by surprise, abrupty loosening his grip. He then lowered his eyes and stormed out of the room.

Did he give up? Why? How? Was it because he realized this was futile?

I was puzzled but not for long. I felt something warm run down my left cheek and I shut my eyes in disappointment, sighing.

If you keep yours eyes open long enough, they start to water and mine were burning but that jerk must have thought that I cried because of him which did nothing to lessen his massive ego.

My wrists were bruised, I examined. Also, my jaw hurt because I had clenched my teeth for too long and now that he thought I'd cried, my purpose was defeated.

This was a horribly failed attempt at revenge.

I sank back into the chair I was sitting on earlier, tired of this intense ordeal, trying to process what the hell had happened.

■■■

I had pestered dad several times, trying to get more information about the slight problem he had mentioned but he said that today's meetings would help answer all my questions.

Another question got added to my already long list when I looked at the schedule that Sarah had emailed me.

My first meeting was with dad and Adrian "Asswipe" Greys. His name made my mind travel back to the unfortunate events of last night. His genes may have been generous in the looks department but he had a horrible attitude.

I bet he used to torture his parents when he was a kid.

Mommy forgot what I said four years ago that one time? Apologise!

I wanted a chocolate but daddy didn't get me one because I am sick? Apologise!

How the hell did his family tolerate him?

I shook my head, trying to get rid of my urge to kill him and quickly dressed up, putting on a beige trouser and coat with a black shirt and went down for breakfast. It was as if fate had it's own vendetta against me, the only empty seat was the one next to Adrian.

He briefly looked up as I pulled my chair but when I returned his gaze, he turned away.

Was he guilty?

Why should I care? Most probably he looked away because my face ruined his day just like his did mine but if he did feel guilty, he probably should.

I picked up four muffins from the bread basket and set them on my plate and poured myself some mango juice.

I quickly finished my breakfast, not wanting sit next to Adrian for more time than necessary and picked up my bag to leave but I was stopped.

Paula asked,"Vanessa, you dad went with Matthew. How are you planning to go?"

Dad had informed me that he left early morning with Matthew as he wanted to get a tour of the office.

If only it could have crossed his mind that I might be interested as well or that since I don't have a car, I will most definitely have to hail a cab if I wasn't going with him.

I returned back to Paula's question," I'll take a cab."

"A cab? No need for that. Adrian and you are going to the office, right? He will take you."

"What?" Adrian and I blurted out before turning to look at each other.

Adrian protested,"Mom, I'll get someone else to drop her off. I..."

"Is there a problem with taking her along?" Paula raised an eyebrow.

"No. But..."

"Well it's settled then, you are taking her," she smiled, paying no head to his protests.

So that is how she tolerated him.

Adrian passed me a death glare before walking out of the house and I, half amused by what Paula did and half annoyed now that I had to spend a good half an hour in silence with him, followed him out.

Today was going to be a long day.