Chapter 45: The Lonely

"This is crazy... Danny's brother was killed years ago and then Genni?" Derrick's shaking hands fumbled as he tried to pull his phone from his pocket. He bit down on the fuzzy yarn of his gloves and slid them off. He kept them between his teeth as he typed.

Man, I'm coming over. I have to tell you something crazy. You home? He texted Zach.

He acted normal as he moved from the corner of the building back to his car. The butterflies and energy made him want to run, but he couldn't make a scene. Then, Danny and his dad would notice him in the distance. He kept his cool and kept his pace. His breathing was heavy but he was getting it to slow down. He put his gloves back on his hands.

He looked over his left shoulder back toward the cemetery. Gone. He couldn't see them anymore. Greenlight.

He took off running, kicking gravel up with every long stride. He grabbed his keys and had them ready as soon as he got to his car. He had to tell Zach. Everyone had to know that Danny was more involved than they thought.

He slammed the heat as high as it could go. He rubbed his hands together.

"Oh, my gosh..." he said.

He threw his gloves off again and into the passenger seat. He pulled out his phone and checked to see if Zach had texted back yet. He hadn't.

"Ugh, Zach. Come'on, man." He threw his phone into the cupholder and pulled away towards his house.

-----

"I like what you're wearing today," Zach smiled at Kathrine in his living room.

"Thank you," she blushed.

"Why do you always say it like that?" he asked with a smile.

"Like what?" she grinned.

"The way your voice moves to a softer tone," he moved closer to her on the couch. "Do I make you nervous?"

She grinned but tried to hide it, "Yeah, you do, Zach." She brushed her hair behind her ear. "But it's just butterflies."

"Good," he said looking at her lips.

Bing. Zach's phone on the coffee table buzzed with Derrick's name.

"Derrick messaged you," she pointed at the table.

"Who cares?" he didn't take his eyes off Kathrine.

"What if it's important?" she asked.

"It's not."

Kathrine did what she does best: put up her walls. She rose her hand and put it on his chest. She applied pressure from the tips of her fingers. Not enough to cause conflict, but enough to send the message that he was too into the moment. She didn't like her walls being messed with like this.

"Oh, sorry," his voice was more stern as he looked away.

"No, I'm sorry. You're not really doing anything wrong. I'm just not there yet."

She didn't mean to offend him, but that's how he took it.

"It's okay," he lied.

His phone buzzed again. Let me know when you're home, Derrick sent him.

-----

Derrick changed destinations and went home to his lonely house. Nobody else was home... the only sounds in the house were from the forgotten television. The news was on, but nobody was watching. He slumped down on his bed and slid his phone onto the end table.

"Ugh," he groaned. "I just want my friends back."

It was just a message without a response. He was probably busy and wasn't doing this on purpose. Zach wasn't really trying to ditch Derrick... but it was easy to think that.

Maybe he is. Maybe he is actually done with me just like everyone else. He thought. I don't deserve their forgiveness anyway...

Then, his phone buzzed on the table. He was hoping to see Zach's name, but it wasn't. It was Evelyn.

Hey, I'm home from the hospital and doing fine. I wanted to get coffee with you if you wanted.

He smiled at his phone.

Sure. Be at the coffee shop in ten?

Yeah!

I have crazy news to tell you, Eve...

***Author's questions: What's Danny's next move? Will Zach's feelings for Kathrine get in the way? How will Evelyn react to seeing Derrick?

**If you liked this chapter, please hit the star to vote. Also, comment your thoughts! I respond to all.