Chapter 30: Surprise? Thought Not...

I was placed in the bed this time, fairly sleepy and still swaddled in the towel. It had been very cold from the natural disposition of the caves earlier, so I was glad when I was allowed to curl up on the mattress of softness, as covered up as a cat in winter.

I slept for a bit, unnerved by the quietness that preceded my short breaths and the crackling of the fire. My dreams, more like nightmares, were restless and didn't allow much for peace. Every once in a while, I woke up to the sound of shuffling feet and instantly alarmed my magic barrier...the one I still couldn't use. Nothing ever came of it, so I finally went back to the fitful rest.

There was one time, throughout the long night of the Dragon's "village," that I cried out. I had been dreaming about that monster at the bottom of the "river," its sharp and horrifying teeth so big that it wouldn't even be able to shred me apart, but instead crush me between the teeth at the base.

The dark hole that was its throat loomed ever closer, and as I fought for the surface that escaped my grasp, turning darker and darker the farther I sunk...

Until, I was choking on nonexistent water. It was everywhere in my dream, filling my ears and shoving itself down my throat. My lungs burst from the pressure, eyes unable to see from the void of no light around me. I was sinking, and no matter what I did I couldn't fight back.

I had alarmed and awakened Lucia unknowingly, making her jump up and start shaking me to make me snap out of it.

"Little girl! Wake up, little one! You're okay! You're safe! Please wake up!" She sounded desperate as she shook me, making my breath come out in gurgles instead of cut off gasps. She started unwrapping the towel so that the chest part was open, and she started doing CPR as she tried to get me to continue breathing. I was honestly convinced that I had drowned and refused to breathe.

After a bit, I started breathing normally since she had calmed me down enough and used magic on me. I didn't know what she did, but it worked instantly and I fainted like an exhausted babe.

Later, I woke up to the sound of song. Her voice was ringing out softly to the walls, caressing my cheeks as I was held on her lap. I was swaddled completely again, given no chance to escape. I didn't want to anyway, since it felt so close to home; Mother was holding me again.

I would've cried at that point, remembering my hopelessness earlier when I had been in the bath. It felt like I just wanted a lot of things to just stop, and I felt ashamed of those thoughts. I almost broke my promise to live fully, to the best of my ability. How is living in fear and shame a way to fulfill that promise?

So, I reprimanded myself as I was lulled to sleep again, this time one that wasn't forced or fitful. Her song was enchanting, like she wasn't an ordinary human. I knew for sure she wasn't a Dragon because I had checked her Status along the line, but the only thing for Race was Human. Why was a lone human living with dragons? Who knew. I didn't, and the only thing I could guess was that she was in love (I didn't know how she would be, since he's a real bastard) with that Fang guy, who's name seemed awfully familiar somehow...

The only thing I caught for the first part of the song, when I bothered to pay attention, was something that sounded like it belonged to Ponyo or something.

"Little one, why do you cry? It's a bright day with sunshine outside!"

Really? I couldn't tell, the walls in here are solid brown and the only thing I can see is the firelight...

"Tell me what worries you, I will try to make it go away. That's what I'm here for, as a dearest friend. It's my job to help you, so why not open up? Little one..."