08 | everything is okay

| meliorism |
chapter eight
❝ 162 candles ❞

| meliorism |chapter eight ❝ 162 candles ❞

  ҉  ҉  ҉

     "So, you really believe Vicki has left town" Sheriff Forbes asked, leaning over her desk with her eyebrow raised.

     It was the morning after Halloween. The sheriff had call the Gilberts, Matt, Stefan and Rhena to find out about the whereabouts of Vicki Donovan. But Rhena, like the rest of them, had told the sheriff the same time; Vicki had left town and was not coming back.

"Yes" Rhena answered without hesitation, nodding. Her fingers were interlaced together in her lap, and her hair was messy, a bun was barely keeping it up.

     The Sheriff waited quietly for a couple of seconds, but then sighed "Okay then, that'll be all, Rhena, thank you" she said smiling at the girl. Rhena smiled back, standing up from the chair.

     With an unexplainable sick feeling in her stomach, she got out of the office, making her way over her brother who was talking with Jenna. Elena and Jeremy were next to them, smiling at something Cade said.

     "Hey" Rhena muttered, making everyone look at her. They smiled at her and stood up.

     "Everything okay?" Cade asked her while they were making their way outside. Rhena nodded, getting out of the station as well. The five of them were walking down, until Elena saw Stefan down the steps.

     "I'll meet you guys at the car" Elena said turning to them, making Jenna nod.

     The rest of them walked towards their cars. Rhena walked behind her brother with her gaze looking down, acting like she didn't see Stefan's wave towards her. Cade opened his car, waving goodbye at her best friend and at Jeremy.

     "Wait!" Jeremy shouted, making his way towards Rhena. She looked up, frowning "do you have your nursing class at the department tomorrow?" She nodded, confused "is it too late to accept the offer of the art class?"

Rhena smiled and shook her head "of course not, we'll pick you up tomorrow morning" He nodded and step back, waving goodbye.

Few minutes later, they arrived home. They were talking about who was going to do the groceries when they entered the house, and discovered that everything was silent. The siblings looked at each other, finding it very strange.

    "Guys?" Cade shouted, waiting for a response. Seconds later, Indira yelled a reply from upstairs.

    The two of them went up to the rooms, only to find their little sister getting out of her room with a big smile on her face.

    "What's going on? Did Asher left you here alone?" Cade asked Indi, who shook her head.

    "Dad called, he's talking to Ash right now"