1. The Dare

Please not me, please not me...

Damn it.

The empty bottle spun on the table, stopped and pointed at me. I glanced at it exasperatingly, trying to ignore the visible malice on Avery's doll face. For some reason, she truly enjoyed this moment. I soon understood why.

"Do or Die, Rosabel?"

The mere question, banal as it sounds, was enough to send cold shivers down my spine. I took a deep breath and answered with a modulated, unaffected timbre:

"You're supposed to dare me first."

She dismissed my words with a wave of her hand.

"Well, of course. But must we always obey the rules?"

Avery Halloway was my biggest rival from the St. Felix Private Academy, and not only because of her supermodel looks. She was a straight-A student, winner of three consecutive olympiads at Biology, and she was the best friend of the most popular girl in school, Monica. Used to be. That is until Monica was found dead 3 months ago.

I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest. The others seemed to be very entertained by our placid confrontation, pivoting their curious sights from Avery to me. Luckily, we didn't have a very big public: only nine students, two of which were my friends. I wasn't intimidated by big crowds, but I certainly preferred a quieter ambience.

"I dare you to slap Damian Belfort."

Everyone stared at the raven-haired girl in shock and disbelief.

Damian Belfort. The boy who killed Monica.