Stripes of a Cat

Akiva scrubbed herself raw over a wide drainage trench. The quartermaster, a one eyed reaver with a sensitive nose the envy of any hound, had left to give her privacy. The tattoo on Akiva's thigh marked her as a fellow Yellow Sun so the other reavers didn't fear her escape, not really. The quartermaster exited the tent, but she wouldn't have gone far. Before bathing, Akiva had peeked through the tent flap. She spied Latisha's bandaged friend standing watch just outside.

In a bowl carved from the skull of an enormous beast was a periwinkle colored concoction. The honey thick soup consisted of antibacterials, fungicides, and cleansers that had proven effective in killing most strains of the infection. The women of Phalanx called it Mother's Milk, reavers called it God Puke. Whether large or small any place that harbored men kept the caustic smelling substance on hand. The recipe had to be adjusted because of the constantly mutating nature of the infection, but it was more or less the same wherever she'd traveled.

Akiva's skin burned and her nostrils rejected the stink of the stuff in the trench, but she felt clean. Neither rash nor nausea had stricken her, chances were she'd avoided contamination. It gave her invaluable peace of mind. She would have smiled, but infection was only one of the issues plaguing the scout.

She'd placed her cards on the table face-up. Akiva Raheem was a Reaver of The Yellow Sun, or had managed to trick a very shrewd old woman into giving her a dangerous tattoo. The clan would look at her differently. Many would show her respect, but others would feel obligated to challenge her. She was no longer a visitor to the lion's den, but a small lion in a big pride. From danger to danger. None of this was what bothered Akiva, they were afterthoughts. What bothered Akiva was the look in Maira's eyes before they dragged her away.

"Many would know the thoughts of a field mouse after she's dubbed herself a wildcat, yes?"

Akiva turned away from the trench. Latisha stood by the tent flap. Gone was her wide brimmed hat, and her long canvas poncho. She wore a skirt of hide, and a breastplate made of interwoven beads and bone. The hair on one side of her head was braided in neat rows along her scalp. The hair on the other side was a wild poof of curls that covered some of her face. Latisha's exposed arms were corded muscle, her eyes like the hunting birds of the coasts. She was a striking sight to look upon, full of confidence and beauty. However Akiva was never fooled by outward appearances. Beneath all of her beauty and strength was something twisted and mean.

"The Lioness has heard about what has transpired. She wishes to have words with you." Latisha stalked over to Akiva like a prowling predator moving in for the kill.

Akiva glanced around the room in search of anything she could use as a weapon.

"I would have words with you too."

"Where's Maira?"

"Your pet, yes? She will be along shortly." Latisha moved within arm's reach. "Tell me, Field Mouse, is she the one you spoke of so often?" She walked her fingers up Akiva's arm. "Is this your woman with skin like goat's milk, and hair like wild blood flowers? It is her, yes?"

"Yes," Akiva said. She brushed Latisha's hand off and made to walk away, but the hawk eyed woman snatched a handful of her curly puff.

Latish pulled her back, pressing their bodies together. "Does she know about us?" Latisha's voice was harsh, violence on the tip of the tongue.

"There is no us, Latisha." Akiva's voice was cautious. She didn't want to fight Latisha unless she had to.

"Why is that, Field Mouse?"

"Because of this!" Akiva pulled away, and Latisha let her. She went over to the stool where a clean leather half shirt and pants waited. "You like to hurt people, Latisha, especially the ones you claim to care about."

"I didn't hurt you. I was gentle with you, yes?"

"Yes, up until you weren't."

"You embarrassed me, Field Mouse. You made me feel like a freak."

"You are a freak, Latisha." The reaver stiffened, her face going from playful to menacing in a heartbeat.

"Does your pet know? Will I need to kill her too?" Latisha's voice had become a serpent's hiss.

Akiva spun around, and stared straight into the reaver's eyes.

"She doesn't know, and if you touch her I will make sure everyone knows your secret before I die."

"But you will die, yes?" Latisha laughed. "Yes, she is definitely the one you told me about. Very strong, very pretty. You like a certain type of woman."

Latisha watched Akiva dress, her gaze slithering over every move the smaller woman made. She licked her lips and grabbed Akiva's wrist as she fastened the skirt. Her breathing had quickened and her pupils were dilated. Akiva knew The Yellow Sun, and knew Latisha. Rape was not tolerated by four of the nine clans, though many might turn a blind eye to the abuse of a slave. Unfortunately Latisha's idea of rape had everything to do with pain and nothing to do with sex. Latisha would relish hurting Akiva just for the sake of it.

The tent flap opened and two people shuffled loudly inside. Anger sparked in Akiva's chest and she shook off Latisha's hold. Latisha's goon of the tattooed breast held one end of a chain. The other end was affixed to the collar around Maira's throat. May's wounds were each bandaged with green wrappings. Her own clothing was gone, replaced by a roughcloth tunic. Her hair still glistened from whatever substances the healer poured over her head to fight infection and lice. Her wrists were bound with rope and her mouth gagged. She refused to meet Akiva's gaze.

"We'll leave you two alone for a moment, yes? Then you will see The Lioness."

The short haired reaver handed Akiva the chain and followed Latisha out. Akiva stared at the chain in her hand for a long moment. It represented so many things; bondage, hate, suffering. In Phalanx the chain was the symbol for reavers. She dropped the chain to the dirt floor and undid May's gag.

"You're a traitor to Phalanx, Kiva," Maira said, the defeat in her voice stinging Akiva's eyes.

"I asked you to trust me, May. So trust me when I say I'm not a traitor, not to you or The Mothers."

"How can you stand there and lie to my face? How can you lie to me while I'm standing here in chains." Akiva closed the distance between them, staring up into Maira's hurt eyes. "I don't blame you, not really. I blame myself. I know the kind of woman you are, and I let you blind my eyes."

"Stop, May." Akiva reached for Maira's bound hands and the red headed woman jerked away.

"These women are animals, killers, thieves, rapists, the lowest of the low... and you're one of them."

"I said stop. I did what I had to do, as I always do. I haven't changed. I haven't become a new woman overnight. I'm still me, but I saved you today and to do that I had to pretend to be someone I'm not."

"I'm a fool for loving you, Akiva, but I saw the way they reacted. There was no act. You're a reaver."

"Maybe so, but I'm no traitor."

"How can you say that? Phalanx has stood against the reaver hordes for more than ten generations. You can't be loyal to one and wave the bloody flag of the other. You don't get to be both bear and wildcat." May took a deep, exhausted breath. "Why would you want to?"

"I only did what I was told," Akiva said, her voice sounding very small in her ears.

"Told by who, who would ask you to betray Phalanx?"

"Mother Ophelia."

"Time's up!" Latisha sang as she and her minions entered the tent. The women took hold of Akiva and Maira. "The Lioness is ready for you."