Chapter 35

Today the story reached #466 in the fan fiction rating :O guys, I can't tell you how grateful I am! It's the first time I've ever been on some list :D Thank you!

................

"I could get used to that."

Grace smiled as she watched Elijah fix his tie, which was something she could do forever. She still was in his amazingly comfortable bed, the warm sheets wrapped around her. His scent was all over this room and it gave her tingles. Usually she would feel uneasy because this here was all his, including the oversized shirt she wore. But with him it was just different. They were vampires, they were simply beyond money and property.

"It's good to see you smiling again. I was worried yesterday."

Sighing she fell back onto the pillows. The argument with her sister came back to her mind. Today she saw it with a clearer mind. She did the right thing. Grace couldn't have lived for another day in her shared home with Elena. Too much had happened. It wasn't pride that drove her, she would have swallowed it for a better relationship with her sister, but mistrust had grown between them and she simply couldn't face that every minute, whenever she was at home where she should feel comfortable.

She stared to the artfully painted ceiling. This room was delicate. It fitted Elijah's character, but she was a little surprised by the light colors he chose. There was a lot of vintage, antique looking furniture and carpets that must've cost a fortune, but light was the main theme, besides from books, which was another surprising thing considering he had a massive study downstairs. She didn't expect a red room of pain, but it still was lighter than she would've thought.

But then she got it. Where light was, shadows came with it. That was exactly who he was. A game of light and shadows. Grace was in the middle of it, playing with that kind of fire. She stared at him wondering, admiring the way he moved. So elegant, but obvious that a predator was hidden under all this fine linen.

"A penny for your thoughts."

He turned around to face her, his dark brown eyes a chocolate color as the sunlight highlighted it.

"I'm asking myself if you're really ok with me living here...like permanently and not just for some days."

A smile tugged on his lips and he stepped closer. Grace felt the mattress shift when he sat down and then she felt his hand cupping her cheek.

"I couldn't be more delighted. I have to admit that it has been a long time since I slept that well like in the last two nights. With you by my side."

Her heart melted right in front of him. She felt exactly the same. It was unbelievable how homey she felt in here. Grace hoped that Rebekah and Klaus were ok with it, too.

Elijah leaned forward to kiss her gently. She returned the kiss smiling. But after a way too short while, Grace pulled back.

"You probably have tons to do now that your mother turned out to be an evil witch and I'm here distracting you."

He chuckled and pushed her hair behind her ear.

"I have to admit that I really like you distracting me. But to be honest I allowed myself to spent the morning with you. There's not much I can do about mother."

Actually there was. He could chase after her, find out what she was cooking up after her plan to kill them failed. But he wouldn't leave Grace alone here, still, on the other hand he wouldn't dare ask her to come with him. She had too much unfinished business here.

Grace nodded and stood up, coming to a stop in front of the mirror. She couldn't help but feel embarrassed by her condition. Her eyes still had a hint of red from crying so much, she was pale and her hair was an absolute mess.