Chapter 67

Standing in front of the mirror, Nawal tied the hijab with precision. She stared at her reflection in the mirror and concluded she was still very pale. She then uncapped the light pink lip gloss and applied on her lips. She was reassuring herself as she applied another coat of lip gloss on her bottom lip that she wasn't getting ready to impress Salman. Rather she was applying it for herself to bring some colour on her face. But who was she kidding? She may be furious at him and simmering like a hot tea kettle, she wanted to look her best, well if not the best then presentable when her husband arrives. Any minute now, Salman would be at her parent's place to pick her up. She whirled around from the mirror and hurriedly packed her overnight bag. Salman had suggested she stayed for a day instead she ended up staying for two days. Probably because it was after like forever that she was at her parents place and partly because Salman didn't object every time she texted saying she was staying longer.

She stuffed Rania's soiled clothes in the bag and threw her toiletries on top of Rania's belongings. Just as she was about to rush to the kitchen to make Rania's bottle, she nearly collided into Ghazala.

Ghazala mutely handed her Rania's bottle and the box of formula milk. Nawal beamed in response seeing how mother knew about her needs. Nawal unrelentingly packed her belongings as Ghazala lingered in the room.

After fidgeting for a couple of seconds, Ghazala cleared her throat, "Nawal?"

Absentmindedly, Nawal glanced at her mother, "Jee?"

"I didn't see you speak much of Salman. Is he taking care of you?"

Nawal froze in the act of zipping the bag. She then slowly proceeded in zipping the bag. "Yeah he is fine."

"You didn't answer my question Nawal." Ghazala pressed.

Nawal straightened and faced her mother. One striking similarity between them was that they were both tall. At eye level, Nawal answered honestly, "There are still issues between us. I don't think he trusts me. And when there is no trust there is no strong relationship."

Ghazala's shoulders drooped in defeat, "Nawal I know I am not in the position to give you advice when I had myself pushed you into marrying someone who you never wanted to. But I know Salman and if you give him a chance he will do everything in his power to make you happy."

Nawal gritted her teeth. This was typical of her mother, always taking her nephew's side. She slid the shoulder strap of the bag on her left shoulder. She was about to leave and it was better not to argue with her mother. But Ghazala's next words changed her mind.

"No man is ideal Nawal. We are all human beings. When we can make mistakes expect the same from others. I know I shouldn't be saying this when I always had high expectations from you. But for your happiness in this marriage, it's a small advice. Learn to be flexible beti and most of all, forgive and forget."

Nawal took a deep breath and silently prayed ya Allah give me patience. She was not here to argue with her mother. She nodded curtly and the ringing of the doorbell spared her the argument. Salman was here and it was time to go home.

****

Salman strapped the sleeping baby in the car seat at the back seat of his car. Nawal was sauntering to the car as he closed the back door of the car.

"Why don't you drive?" he threw the car keys at her.

Being the only sister of her brothers, playing excessive sports with them, she easily caught the car keys but hesitantly asked, "Are you sure?"

"Yah," he nonchalantly replied as he opened the front passenger car door.

She had not been driving since her accident. At first, the doctors had advised her not to. However, in the last two weeks, the doctors had concluded that Nawal was fit to do her normal daily life chores including driving. Nawal had been sceptical of her driving skills and hadn't attempted to drive. She had never thought Salman would give his car to drive. She was accustomed to driving her small hatchback never had she driven Salman's SUV. Although, when she was single she had driven her father's SUV that was a long time ago.