21 - Prince Charming

"How did lunch go with Rose?"

                Now it was my turn to interrogate the pretty man.

"She wanted to thank me for saving her years ago"

                Rose already told me the story, but I wanted to hear how Alexander Locke felt about it.

"And?" I grinned while sitting in leather chair behind the large oak desk.

"Damsel-in-distress syndrome"

                If my sister hears Alexander Locke's portrayal of her, she'll be hurt. Even if it's the truth.

"Nothing wrong with a princess falling in love with a prince" My elbow was prompt on the desk while I set cheek against the back of my hand. "Especially a masculine prince charming like yourself"

                I had to tease the pretty man.

"I'm no prince charming" Alex was still sitting on the edge of the table like a royal prince. "I don't have time to pamper anyone"

"You pamper me?" I fluttered my eyelashes.

"Because you pay me big bucks to do so" He shot back.

                Smiling, I studied the pretty man before me.

"What?" He could see I was studying him.

"You know you don't have to consider my feelings. If there is someone you're interested in, you should put your effort in_"

"Brat" He reached over to tap my forehead with the side of his index finger. "Big words for a spoil, lazy person."

"Alex" I rubbed my forehead. "I'm being serious"

                When he tapped at my forehead again, I frowned.

"I will always consider your feelings, stupid" He smiled.

"Alex_"

"I have no interest in your sister" He cut me off. "Pampering you is already a lot of work. I don't need more work"

"Alex..." I sighed softly. "Tell me honestly, are you rejecting Rose because of me?"

"Yes"

                I was startled by his straightforward answer.

"But you shouldn't" I sighed again.

"Why not?" He challenged me with an amused grin. "As far as I know, you're more important to me than your sister"

                I would be lying if I said I wasn't moved.

"Look" Alex chuckled softly. "I have zero interest in your sister. She's too much of a princess for my taste"

                Again, I was startled.

"To have someone depend on you constantly. Someone who never say no and can't handle the word no."Alex expression and voice was detach - cold even. "I prefer someone more self-reliant"

                I get it. Alexander Locke had grown up working hard all his life. He didn't grow up with things handed to him and learned to work in order to get the things he needed. For a man like Alexander Locke, he valued a person's effort more than his or her talent. You can be a genius and the man would not give you any attention less you show determination.

"If you're too strict" I smiled softly. "You're going to scare off all your admirers"

"Weaklings" His grin was sly. "Weed out the weak ones to find the best one"

"How cruel" I laughed in spite of his cold words.

"Come on" Alex suddenly stood with a hand in the pants pocket. "Let's go get something to eat"

                Before I knew it, it was already noon. I glanced behind me to see the gray sky had cleared into the beautiful baby blue hue. The rainbow in the horizon has marked the end of the rain.

"I should go to class" My mood lightened at the clear weather.

"We can grab something quick to eat" Alex was already walking toward the door. "I can drop you off afterward."

                Seeing that I had time for a quick brunch, I followed after him with a smile.