09

India Marie Stepp
___________
Baton Rouge

"India! Yo daddy sent you a letter back" My mama closed the screen door and said.

"Bet"! I jumped up off the couch rubbing my hands together "Where it's at"?

"Right here" She pulled some more mail back then handed me my letter.

I️ nodded opening the letter gently trying not to ripe it too much. I unwrapped his sheeted paper revealing his cursive hand writing written on the sheet.

"Read it to me, tell me what it say" My mama sat down.

"Hey Boo " I️ cracked a smile "My first baby, I️ miss you so much & I️ love you, I️ see you moved to Louisiana, you like it? I️ hope your really making your mama proud while I'm in here, do it for me please. I know you don't want to be away from your cousins and friends but I️ want you to stay out of trouble too, no more fighting. Try not to, I️ know things hard without me but I'll be shaking back in no time. Be the opposite of me & do better, be positive. I️ wish I had somebody to tell me at least half the things me & yo mama be telling you. I hope you be listening to yo mama & your P.O lil girl! But your moma told me that you've been staying out the way lately & just been in the house with her. Keeping your grades up & stuff. That's good. Continue to do good cause you know what happens if you violate probation and ion want that left handed over to you. I want you stay focused, but you know better than that. & Have you talked to your sister & brother? I want you guys to be in each others life more y'all barley even see one another. I️ gave Neek you & yo mama phone number. They miss you, I'm sure you miss them too so get up with your little brother & sister. See how their doing, please be a good example on them India. I️ love you so so so so much man I swear I'm sorry I be wishing I was there but I'll be right there very soon. Don't be worried just keep being the good & stay strong. I love you & I'll see you soon❤️"

My mama wiped my tears that kept falling from my face "Awwww! It's okay"

"Come here" My mama opened her arms & I️ hugged her so tight "He gone be home soon baby, pray the judge have mercy on him. Keep praying & continue to pray. God got him. God got us, ok"? She mumbled rubbing my back.

I nodded "Yeah"

Ion normally cry in front of anybody I swear.
I just don't feel as if somebody is obligated to have sympathy for me because I'll always be alright in the end.

I cry alone to be honest, my pillow the only one who catches my tears.

She gave me a kiss to my cheek & I️ threw the envelope away with the letter in my hand going upstairs & tapped the letter to my wall.

I️ save every letter he sends me. I️ have majority of them on my wall.

I️ stared at it after taping it. I️ took a deep breathe flopping back on my bed putting my hands behind my head.

"India" my mama came in my room

"Mmm" I️ looked up at her, snapping from my thoughts .

"I'm going to your Janneta house, you coming or staying"?

"I'm staying here"

"Alright, if you have company don't have my house looking crazy, I just cleaned up. I'll be back in a few hours. Love you"

"I️ love you too" I️ said before she closed the door behind her.

"My damn head hurt" I️ put my pillow over my head getting comfortable under my covers and closed my eyes.