Chapter 57

Jaden spent most of the next day assisting Master Gareth. The castle's weaponry had been raided to ensure that all the reformed prisoners were equipped with bow and arrows. Jaden had entrusted Fredrick with making new orders to all the bowyers and fletchers in Veicira. And Moira had proposed a new name for the reformed prisoners: The King's Arrows.

The training grounds sprawled below the southern facade of the fortified wall, somewhat shielding them from the Gods' Wrath, an unforgiving north-born wind. Jaden wore a black coat over his uniform, finely made, warm, and flexible enough to allow for demonstrations.

Mostly though, he enjoyed when the old master showed off a bit. Gareth seemed almost a statue when he drew his bowstring, frozen in such a perfect stance, his aim true and unfaltering. The former prisoners observed his technique, then scrambled for a spot in front of a target to try and recreate it.

In the early afternoon, Bryani and Sofi came to see him.

"Hello you, how are you feeling?" Jaden asked the young teen. 

She grinned. "I feel great!"

"Yeah, I don't know what you did but she has too much energy now," Bryani joked.

"Shut up!" Sofi's brown eyes focused on Jaden. "Um, could you teach me too?"

Jaden glanced up at Bryani, who looked comically tall next to his little sister.

"Please indulge her?" Bryani pleaded. "She already knows there's no way she's fighting in a war any time soon." Sofi grimaced at that, but didn't protest. "This is just to keep her busy. I've got to get back to my actors, they're a hot mess and the play's tonight."

"Of course," Jaden said, and Bryani grinned.

"Thank you! You're a life saver!" And he ran back to the castle.

Jaden glanced at the other section of the training grounds, and spotted Ivy sparring against Liandris.

"See the girl with the long braid?" Sofi followed his gaze and nodded. "Go and ask her if you can borrow her bow, since she doesn't need it right now." Ivy's bow was smaller than average and would be more appropriate for Sofi.

She ran towards Ivy and Liandris right away.

About half an hour later, Jaden was surprised to see Colin and Damian approaching. The twins had quivers strapped to their backs with feather-tipped arrows, and finely crafted bows in their hands.

"Those are beautiful weapons," Master Gareth commented.

Damian gave a nonchalant shrug. "We've never used them, actually."

Colin's expression was slightly more serious as he addressed Jaden. "We heard you were good at this, and so we thought we could learn from you."

"He's not great," Gareth said, "but he's not too bad either."

Jaden hid a smile. That was probably the best compliment one could hope to get from him, on a good day.

"Well, then!" Colin looked Gareth up and down. "Would you agree to teach us instead?"

"I'd rather get eaten by wolves." Gareth walked away.

Colin's mouth hung open, and Jaden laughed. "Looks like you're stuck with me!"

Sofi had heard the exchange and said, "I think you're amazing, Jaden. I don't want another teacher." Then she drew the bowstring as he had taught her, aiming at a target forty-five paces ahead.

"Thank you," Jaden said. "Right, let me introduce my cousins, Damian and Colin Nightvale. And this is Sofi T'Sherazee."

They insisted on kissing her hand, which she seemed to find curious, but amusing. Damian, especially, seemed to enjoy meeting Sofi.