67. Switch

67. Switch

Present

(PRESENT) Rei

"Look, Yuuchirou. Are you really  not going to come back soon?" Amano sounded irritated, "Job this, job that-- is family that little of importance to you?"

I stayed behind the door, listening. I was supposed to go in, but the heated up phone conversation on the other end made me stop. I couldn't interrupt now-- not when curiosity got the best of me and the urge to eavesdrop grew.

Amano had never sounded so truly angered before.

"Look, Yuuichirou, your son is fucking dying!" 

I shot back, surprised at the loud tone. 

I bumped into someone behind me- turning around, I notice it was Kuma-sensei. His eyes were narrowed, glaring at the door to Amano's office. 

Swinging the door open, he raised his voice angrily. "Amano, you're being too loud!" he scolded, "Be aware that this is a hospital!"

"Kunomasu-kun!" Nurse Fuse shot back, calling from the ER Counters, "You're being too loud! be aware that this is a hospital!"

Dismissing the reprimand, Kuma led me into the room. Sitting down on the guest chair, I watched Kuma snatch the phone out of Amano's hand.

"Hey, Yuuichirou the bastard, how are you?" 

A chuckle burst out of my mouth at the rude greeting. 

"Yuu, you came back because you wanted to spend more time with your son. What's the point if you keep heading back to your job anyways?" Kuma sounded much more patient and tolerant than Amano, "Look, I'm gonna put Rei on the line. You better not say anything insensitive."

I barely registered the baton pass before Kuma tossed the phone into my hands. 

"Eh-" quickly holding it up to my ears instinctively, "Uh... hi, Dad."

It took a long moment for the person on the other line to respond. And when it did, it was a very soft, hesitant tone I'd never heard him use. It was as if he was on the verge of crying-- but instead of a whiny, childish tone-- it was a heartbreaking, pained tone.

"It's been a while, Rei. How are you?"

I hesitated. It was a first to hear him sound like that, and it seemed more than my head was in shock. My throat couldn't will the strength to make any sound at all. 

"I guess you're angry at me, aren't you?" 

No I'm-

"I mean, I promised to stay beside you an now I can't even go over when you'r ein such a bad state... I'm really sorry, Rei. I'm the worst father in the world."