Chapter 4

You were currently in period 3, and still no sign of Bill. You were starting to get worried. You had sent him a few quick texts in English (first period), when you noticed the desk next to yours, his desk, was empty. You had since not heard back. Checking your phone for the 1000th time today, you decided to send another text to Bill.

"Hey, its me again. Um, I really need to talk to you about something. Please get back to me ASAP i'm worried."

You felt silly and clingy but you needed to know he was okay. You know you needed to chill the hell out, and you had tried to many a time, but to no avail.

'He's just sick (y/n). Stop it.' You thought. 'Yeah, he's probably just sick and he's resting and that's why he hasn't messaged you back.' Your thoughts continued.

Right?

'He didn't look sick when you last saw him though' Another thought interjected.

You were at war with yourself, the cliche angel and devil on the shoulder ordeal. Wanting to end the mental war, you decided that if Bill didn't respond by tomorrow morning, (Saturday), you would go over to his and see what's wrong. Simple. You nodded and looked down at the work sheet that had magically seemed to have appeared in front of you. You guessed you had been so deep in your thoughts you hadn't noticed it. Huh. How about that?

You plowed through your work quite quickly and the day seemed to go just as fast. In no time, you found yourself in last period, the bell just starting to ring. You checked your phone again only to be slightly disappointed at the lack of texts. Packing up your things, you made your way out of the school.

Walking your normal route, the one you would always walk with Bill, you passed a park. Both you and Bill would pass it everyday as you walked home from school. As you were walking past the said familiar park, you noticed a vibrant bush of roses. You had not seen them any of the other times you had walked home. Shrugging, you ruled out it as you just being absent minded. They were definitely gorgeous. The red of the roses were radiant, the bush itself was green and as bright as the plant could possibly be. They were well cared for, that much was obvious, but by who? They weren't owned by anybody, they were public property. Who would put in that much effort?

You took out your phone and decided to take a few photos of the breath taking fauna. They were too beautiful to pass off. In the process of taking out your phone, a weird, almost ominous feeling loomed in the air. You decided to ignore it. It was probably all the stress you were under with school and Bill. Snapping a string of photos after getting the right angles, you put away your phone. A sudden urge of wanting to smell a rose over came you. Why not? Whats the worse that could happen?

You took a couple steps toward the bush and reached forward to grab one. Your hand comes to an abrupt stop when you see the bush move slightly, the leaves rustling. Your brows furrow. You hand was left hanging in the air, halfway between the rose bush and back to your side. You stare at the bush for a few moments, expecting some sort of bunny or animal to come out. Nothing did. Maybe it was your imagination? Ruling that you were done having a staring contest with the bush, you continue to reach out your hand. It connects with the firm stalk of one of the stunning roses. You bring your face closer to the rose and sniff. The sweet and fragrant smell penetrated your senses. You smile, deciding to enjoy this moment of serendipity.

After a few moments, you open your eyes again. You wanted to take one home. They were honestly too beautiful. As you slid down the stalk of the rose, trying to find the base, you cut yourself accidentally on the thorns. "Shit!" You curse as you watch the blood starting to rise out of the open wound and down your finger. You go to put your injured digit in your mouth when the bush starts to rustle again, this time more frantic. You jumped, slightly confused and scared. 'What the hell?' You thought. The bush, again, suddenly stops. You watched the bush for any more sudden movements.