2. Expect The Unexpected (part 1)

I waited for her to laugh it off and say that it was just a bad joke. But she didn't. She eyed me condescendingly, running a hand through her black short hair. If I refused to do the dare, I would be immediately dislodged from the Elite Group. The Elite Group was just some stupid club Monica invented at the beginning of the year, along with the 'Do or Die' game. It was made up of the fanciest students of the academy. There were only three preconditions an individual had to fit to become a part of the group.

1. You had to be rich.

2. You had to be popular.

3. You had to have good grades.

They were discriminating. They weren't fair, and yet no one complained about them when Monica founded the club. In fact, no one complained at all when it came to something Monica said. Except Damian Belfort.  Unlike the typical mean girl trope, Monica wasn't actually a mean girl. She was fairly liked by most of the students and teachers, and was generally nice to everyone. On the other side, she was elitist, spoiled and indiscrete. Perhaps that's what got her killed.

Once you were part of the Elite Group, there was only one thing that could dislodge you: the 'Do or Die' game. As the name announced, it was rather easy. You do the dare or get out. And never come back. That is why the number of members substantially diminished from 20 to 7. I wouldn't be surprised if someday, the group would consist of only two members. Avery and I. Avery, because she was ambitious and cocky. Me, because I didn't know how to accept defeat, nor how to reign my stubbornness. 

I tried to maintain a bland expression. After all, it was not the dare that bothered me, it was the person involved in it.

"Cat got your tongue, Ingold?" 

The mocking comment belonged to no one else but Avery's boyfriend, Paul. He was as insolent as he was handsome, with his dark brown hair and blue eyes and the ego of an Olympian God.

I could see from the corner of my eye that my best friend was shaking her head at me, almost begging me to refuse to do the dare. She was the type of girl that avoided trouble at all costs (the smart, rational type of girl).  Unfortunately, I wasn't.

"I'll do it." 

My voice didn't sound as confident as I wished it would, but it was enough to make Avery's full lips twitch into a displeased pout, and my best friend to stare at me hostilely. I knew that look of hers very well and its subtext: Are you out of your mind?

I suppose I was.