Chapter Nineteen ☆

The room was charged with an air of uncertainty as Eliza contemplated David's mystic transformation. The tattoos etched onto his skin hinted at a bite or scratch – the catalyst for his metamorphosis. Concrete evidence might have been elusive, but Eliza's gut was resolute – David was now one of them, a mystic.

 Across the room, Stacy's enigmatic demeanor fueled a sense of urgency within Eliza. An impending plot simmered beneath the surface, one that demanded her intervention before it unfurled its tendrils completely.

Amidst the tension, Dawn handed over the glowing rose, its luminous petals casting an ethereal glow. Yet, even as its beauty captivated, Eliza's mind remained fixated on the enigma of why Miss Canary had entrusted her with it.

 The rose wasn't just a pretty flower – it held secrets, and Eliza knew she had to safeguard them.

Then, as if on cue, Jared sauntered back in, his presence injecting a certain enigmatic energy into the room. His gaze flitted briefly to the glowing rose before he cast his gaze upon the scene unfolding before him.

"Why were you at Mom's place?" Eliza's voice was a mix of curiosity and concern, directed at Jared.

Dawn's interest piqued as she realized the gravity of the conversation unfolding before her. Her gaze remained locked on Jared, waiting for more revelations.

Jared's tired eyes met Eliza's, a hint of vulnerability present. "Our mom, well, she's dealing with some complications. I was trying to help her out, but I couldn't get inside."

Eliza's eyebrows furrowed. "Why couldn't you? Is Mom okay, Jare?"

"Physically, yeah, but it's like she keeps slipping away," Jared admitted, a subtle limp in his step revealing a hint of weariness.

"Are you hurt?" Dawn's gaze flicked downward to Jared's paws. He let out a cough before settling onto his bed.

"I'm good. Terese is helping me track down Grace," Jared explained. The concept of a witch and a mystic collaborating seemed almost paradoxical, given their typically adversarial relationship.

Eliza chewed on her lower lip, her concern deepening. "I saw Mom at the club earlier, but then she disappeared. The distance from the club to my place isn't that far, but her house is quite a stretch away from here. How could she be in both places so quickly?"

Jared's response was tinged with uncertainty. "That's the question I've been trying to figure out."

Dawn chimed in, a hint of disbelief in her tone. "It's definitely weird when you think about it."

Eliza's determination solidified. "I need to head back to her house and check on her."

Jared hissed, his caution palpable. "Before you rush into anything, you need more info. You're smart enough to assess situations before diving in. Trust me, if Mom was truly in danger, I'd sense it. Witch instincts run in the family, and I haven't felt anything off."

Eliza's frustration flared. "So you're suggesting I should just sit here while Mom might be in trouble? You were right outside and didn't seem worried at all."

Jared's response was steadfast. "Because I have insights you don't. There's a lot you're not aware of."

Eliza's impatience was evident. "Maybe if anyone bothered to teach me something, I wouldn't be in the dark."

Eliza's determination to leave was met with Dawn blocking the doorway. "Hold up, Eliza. Maybe Jared's onto something. This could be dangerous, and I doubt pepper spray will cut it."

As the two exchanged concerned glances, Eliza's emotions bubbled. She bit her lip, a physical outlet for her pent-up frustration.

Eliza's resolve grew stronger. "Jared, you're explaining why everyone's after this rose, right now."