$ P R O L O G U E $

It's fascinating by one action you make can change your life so abruptly, so unexpectedly, it happens within a blink of an eye. By one event, one night, your life shifts permanently, or should I say in my case, a one-night stand.

• • •
Prologue
~
December 21st, 2018
Los Angeles, California
11 days till New Years

Vera's P.O.V.

7:54 pm.

       I pull the soft cotton blanket close up to my chin snuggling myself on the couch in pitch black; the flat screen T.V. illuminating a sort of light into the living room. As the show almost revealed the cliffhanger they left me on, my phone rang.

I groan in frustration befre pausing the show. I lean to grab my phone off of the coffee table. Looking at the caller ID, my attitude wavered.

"Hey, mom," I answer with a soft grin.

"Hey, baby! How are you?" My mother replied, sounding relieved.

I glance at the digital clock placed below the table the flat-screen TV was on. It was a bit late for my mother to be calling me at her time.

"I'm doing okay. I miss you."

I heard her loving sigh. "I miss you too, angel."

I smile, though it starts to vanish when I heard her sigh, then an awkward silence for a brief moment. "Sweetheart, I-um, I have something to tell you."

I'm pretty sure she sounded a bit nervous, which made me slightly uneasy. "Yeah, mom, what's up?" I ask, trying to sound cool and casual. Well, trying to.

She takes a deep breath before continuing. "Your father and I are hosting our annual New Year's Eve party and it's been a few years since we've last seen you, honey. I was hoping if you can make it this year?" She asks, sounding hesitant.

Yeah, now I know why she's nervous. It's been three years since I last saw my family. I did keep in contact with my mom, though. Ever since college, I moved from New York City to Los Angeles with one of my closest friends.

I wanted to live on my own and stay away from my father's business since it was life-controlling. I wanted to create my own path, my own future before my father could have done it for me.

I am unfortunately their only child. My father wanted one child to be the heir of Bernacelli Inc., but I wanted something different. I still wished I had another sibling to play and tease with from when I was young. Now, that'll never happen. I always loved little children.

I didn't visit my parents for a few years because I wanted time to build my life in California before my father took control. He wasn't pleased of course, but my mother handled him somehow.

I have the most wonderful life here in Los Angeles. I would be happy to go back now, but for some reason, I feel really uneasy about that idea.

"Vera?" My mother called out, interrupting my thoughts.

I cleared my throat. "Oh yeah, I'm sorry. I zoned out."

"Are you able to make it, honey? You can bring Lilly." My mother suggested, her voice sounding a little anxious.

I hesitated, but I'll do it for my mom. I love her so much. She's been there for me a lot more than my father was.

Than anyone was.

A soft grin appeared on my lips. "If it makes you happy mama, then I'll come."

I heard her give out a relieved sigh. I could only imagine the wide grin across her lips right now. "Thank you, honey. I can't wait. Remember, come a few days early, so we can catch up, okay? I want to see my grown-up baby."

Just then, I hear my penthouse's door unlock. My so-called best friend is home from shopping. "Yeah, I got it, I will. Listen I have to go. Lilly's home with things. I love you, mama!"

"Okay honey, love you too. Bye baby!" My mother replies before hanging up.

I toss my phone on the couch when I see my roommate tumbling in the living room with heavy shopping bags.

"Thanks for the help, Vi." Lilly smiles sarcastically, then dropping the bags she carried in onto the floor with a huff.

I snicker as my eyes follow her movements. "Yeah, you're welcome. Listen I got to tell you something though." I interrupt as I roll my eyes playfully, changing the subject.

She squints her eyes then rolls her eyes at me. "What is it now?" She drops onto the couch.

I adjust my body and face her way. "Well, thank you for asking nicely, Leilani." I start off with a grin that's dripping in sarcasm.

She groans. "Stop playing and tell me before I fall asleep on you." She says before dropping her head in the armrest then closing her eyes.

"My mom called about the party again this year, and she's wondering if I can finally make it out."

She opens her eyes and makes eye contact with me. "Oh. Are you going then?" She asks, adjusting her body too to sit up.

I nodded.

"What's wrong though?" She questions curiously while grabbing a few popcorns that was in a large bowl on the coffee table.

I let out a gentle sigh. "I told her I'm going. She invited you too. It's just I don't feel right about going, but she's my mom, you know? She's been asking me a lot recently to meet up and I don't want to upset her." I murmur as I push a few hair strands behind my ear that managed to escape from my bun.

"Hey, don't worry. I'll be there with you. Nothing could go wrong, Vi. And it's New York, it's going to be fun." She assured, leaning forward to pat my shoulder with a gentle smile.

"If you say so..."

• • •

okay, i'm not going to write a super long author's note, but i would like to say a few words.

this is my first book, and i keep on going back and rewriting and re-editing it a lot because i don't really like a few things, then those few things turn into a lot of things.

my story is basic and it should be since it's my first time writing a story. i'm trying my best to make all the possible and better changes to all of my stories, but honestly, i'm doing it for my enjoyment now.

if you'd like, you can message me privately or comment on any mistakes or your thoughts on anything, i won't mind, unless if it's harassing. i told you before.

anyway, if you're still reading this, thank you for taking the time to do that.

see you soon!

Don't forget to Vote, Comment, and Share!!

- alli