3 ¦ Clash of Classes

When our cart driver dropped us off at the front gate of the university, Bragda bounded out of the carriage and yanked me along behind her.

"I'm the first in the Ironfist line to study," Bragda said with a broad grin. "We made it, sis."

"I've been waiting for this day my whole life," I said.

Bragda extended both fists in triumph. "We're finally in the capital, studying at the best university in the Free World!"

A gaggle of perfectly coiffed initiates dressed in royal purple robes paraded past us. As they sauntered with their entourage of servants and vassals, they gave Bragda and me a snide look.

Royals.

They didn't even have any real political power to justify their arrogance or sense of entitlement. But that didn't keep them from snickering and pointing at us like we were trash.

I gave them a furious scowl. "What are you staring at?"

They gawked at each other, wide-eyed, before sneering at me. "Excuse me, peasant?"

"Hey, Frigid," one of the Princes said to me. "What's a celibate witch doing with a bearded heifer?"

"This heifer can chop off your head with one deft swing." Bragda grabbed her ax. "Call my sister a witch again, and I'll give your friends a demonstration."

"Sister?" The Prince screwed up his nose in disgust. "What kind of deviants were your parents?"

I narrowed my eyes at the Royal clique, and Bragda brandished her battle ax in their direction. By this time, we'd attracted a growing crowd of curious students.

"Yeah, get 'em!" a barbarian shouted.

The Royals provoked her as well with their laughter and catcalls. After a few enraged huffs, Bragda rushed towards them with a battle cry.

"Bragda, look out!"

Too late.

One of the Royal Wizards pointed her magic staff at Bragda and erected a gray, shimmering forcefield to protect the others. She couldn't stop in time and crashed into it head-first, falling onto her back with a grunt.

"Damn!" a fighter shouted from the crowd. "C'mon, get up! You got this!"

I raced towards my sister and helped her to her feet. "Are you hurt?"

Shaking her head, she readjusted her armor, ready to strike again as soon as the thrumming field vanished. Bragda had the constitution of an ox; nothing seemed to faze her.

The Wizard didn't even apologize to her. She simply cast me a wry smile and spoke to her fellow Royal without breaking eye contact with me.

"You see, my Prince, it's best not to mingle with the commoners."

That was the last straw. These fools thought they could say whatever they wanted to anyone and not pay the price. Not on my watch.

Bragda didn't have time to react. Once the forcefield had vanished, I held out my palm face up. Under my breath, I whispered, "Ice fire." The spell fooled the brain's pain receptors. It stung like a bee and burned like a flame upon impact, but it caused no permanent damage.

My sister grinned and stared in awe at blue flames shimmering in my palm.

"Get 'em, sis!"

I formed the energy into snowballs and chucked them at the Royals.

One of the Princesses cried out in shock as soon as the ice fire hit her. "It burns! The snow burns like fire!"

"Yeah!" A group of Barbarians and Fighters cheered. "Burn! Burn! Burn!"