68. Instruments of Our Souls

"Isabelle..." Henry mutters, just as Kathy and I mumble, "Mum, Dad..."
Mum and Dad squeeze their intertwined hands, assuring us.

Isabelle nods over at me with the same smile I had a few moments ago, before rushing towards her brother with open arms.

Henry first stiffens when Isabelle gives me a hug like Kathy did to me, but relaxes after realising that reality isn't a mirage. This time.

"Everyone's here!"
Before I can even gather my hanging jaw and stuttering hands, Kathy's already by Mum and Dad's side.

My own heart still not ready to accept the same chimera presented to Henry.

They notice my not joining them-- just standing here. As their smiles drop for a second. Something invisible to everyone's eyes passes Mum and Dad's irises, before Dad walks over to me.

He's not the Dad I saw in the fifth memory.
He's the one whom I remember from seven years ago.

"But... But I thought only supernatural..."

Dad nods and crouches down-- the grass not ruining his white trousers-- and takes out a hand.
"You're right, but there's always exceptions, Phoenix..."

"What is my little phoenix doing up so early?" He crouches next to little me.

My knees hit the ground. Worry coating Dad's eyes. Gem barks.

Little Lindsey laughs and points to her stomach. "I'm hungry."

Dad places a hand on my shoulder gently.
"Phoenix... it's me..."

"Then let's make some breakfast,"
Dad says.

Dad stands up and gives little Lindsey his finger. He stops and asks,
"Do you want a piggy back ride?"

Just as the speeches of both finish, my arms practically fly towards him.

They wrap themselves around him the way a toddler would've done seven years ago.

My hands curl into fists at the ends of bent arms, as my chin rests on shoulder. Mouth fighting back the bile in my throat.

Pouting like a toddler too...

Dad swaddles his arms around me like the toddler I have in my head.
Swaddling so tight as if we'd fall into a bottomless pit if we don't. Gem snuggles in between us. Consoling both.

Almost immediately, a hand caresses the puff on my shoulder. I don't even need to look up to see whose soft and warm touch is there.

"I... I missed you all..." My voice croaks-- shredded at the edges.
Slowly, I uncoil myself from Dad. Glazed gaze still downward.
Dad pulls my chin up and pats my cheek lightly.

Mum's voice is as soft as a lullaby as she says,
"We missed you all so much, Lindsey..."

I snap my head back at her, nodding.

Her words somehow allow me to stand up-- Dad following suit-- and rubbing my thumb against the cool silver of the pendant.

Mum, Dad and Kathy gather around me like a bird spreads her wings around her eggs, while Isabelle and Henry grin back at us. Both of them standing at each other's sides.

Henry's hands behind him, while Isabelle's crossed in a downward triangle in front of her.

So typical of them...

The sun still stuck at its rise reflects a slash of light from Isabelle's pendant.
Making me blink.

How are we wearing the same thing at the same time?